Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead seal of Gallienus  (Read 4288 times)

Offline postvmvs

• Praetorian
Lead seal of Gallienus
« on: December 04, 2005, 08:22:07 pm »
Hi,

A couple of years ago I acquired a lead seal of Gallienus. I was wondering if anyone here knew what such a seal would've been used for, or if perhaps you could recommend a reference work that covers this sort of thing.

Obverse: GALLIENVSP.F.AVG
Reverse: blank

Thanks in advance!
postvmvs
--postvmvs
(Not to be confused with 'postumus' spelled with 'u')

incerum

Re: Lead seal of Gallienus
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 11:42:32 am »
Hi

This is a rare example of lead seals having obverse of roman coins. It is believed that bags of coins from mint would be sealed with these lead seals and transported to provinces, then distributed. I am writing an article on this subject and hope that you do not mind if I use this photo, it is very interesting.

Incerum

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 08:18:11 pm »
Hello Postvmvs,
That is  a glorius lead seal you have in your collection.  I have been buying a small assorted type collection and have one that feautures Constantine and his two sons.  I tried researching them and came up with little on the internet. On an England site , there were army symbols insribed in association to the legion stationed there. 
I believe they served the same as our password for our computer use. Multiple uses; such as for documents,  materials  (as metioned coin bags, army supplies, building materials (i.e. nail bags?). ect. 
Yours is clearly a very special "EL Presidente" seal and should be placed in a museum!!!
Flavius Vincento
P.S. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 08:21:50 am »
Hi,

I just came across this item for sale. Described as a lead seal it appears to use the same die for the Gallienus bust as the seal at the start of this topic. The size is approximately 16mm and the weight is quoted as 3.7 grammes

It is very unusual to pair Diocletian with Gallienus and I wonder about the age of the item. Anybody experienced anything similar?

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 04:27:31 pm »
So, these stamped lumps of lead themselves would have been affixed to the bags of coins. The Gallienus can't be the seal stamp itself, because it would produce a retrograde image. (sorry if you already realized that, just thought it should be mentioned in the thread)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:06:38 pm »
Hi,

Closed the loop now. Sadly I've located the Gallienus die used for both of these lead seals used on a confirmed fake aureus.

The coin is published in the IBSCC Bulletin on Counterfeits BOCS Vol 18 No.2 1993 Page 15 Fig 4a and the illustration of the aureus is below.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline helcaraxe

• Caesar
    • Coins available
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:19:14 am »
I just noticed that the fake lead seal posted by mauseus on 10th of october ist still for sale.

Did anyone inform the seller about it? I am sure he is not selling a fake knowingly.

Kind regards and semper pax
helcaraxe

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 01:35:12 pm »
I just noticed that the fake lead seal posted by mauseus on 10th of october ist still for sale.

Did anyone inform the seller about it? I am sure he is not selling a fake knowingly.

Kind regards and semper pax
helcaraxe

Hi,

Been away. No I hadn't informed the dealer and wasn't going to until I found the final piece of the jigsaw (the aureus). Has anybody done it in the mean time?

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 02:58:57 am »
Hi,

I informed the dealer of the Diocletian/Gallienus seal that it was most likely a fake an pointed him to this page on Tuesday. When I looked for the item on Wednesday it had been removed.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:50:40 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President