Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Roman/Byzantine Snail Mail, Really!  (Read 1326 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Ancient Roman/Byzantine Snail Mail, Really!
« on: June 26, 2013, 05:24:33 pm »
Here is a good one.  I thought this was some kind of bird, but now I am pretty sure it is a SNAIL!  Any ideas as to the meaning of this would be appreciated.  The reverse inscription is damaged, probably by agricultural equipment.  I think there was a cross or symbol above two or three lines of greek letters.  This seal was given to me by a friend at the farm settlement near Caesarea Maritima around 1971, so a late Roman or Early Byzantine date is most likely.  Thanks, V-drome.

Lead Seal BCC LS10
Late Roman-Early Byzantine        
Obv: Snail(?), advancing right.  Star above.
Rev:Greek inscription in 3 or 4 lines:
+?
I (or T)?, K Y, M (or H)?
Λ, Λ, Ο, Υ
Pb 18x19.5mm. 6.19gm. Axis:0
(click on picture for higher resolution)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Ancient Roman/Byzantine Snail Mail, Really!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 05:37:04 pm »
That is excellent!

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:39:13 pm »
Weird iconography can occur on seals, but I am pretty sure it is a peacock on the obv. The rev. seems to have the owner's name Kyrillos preceded by a cross: +KYPI/LLOV in two lines.

Regards
Gert

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 05:39:42 pm »
Hi,

An interesting seal but I think the creature is a peacock. The vestiges of the legs are just there I believe and there looks to be a beak.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:30:49 pm »
Wow!  Thanks for all the responses.  I agree peacock is most likely.  The patina is quite fragile and seems to contain most of the detail so I don't want to poke around too much, but under the microscope I can see very faint legs and beak now.  Thanks, again.  Jimi

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 07:09:11 pm »
What a pretty thing.  Congrats!

;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity