Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Nike on column for Caracalla from Nikopolis  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Unknown Nike on column for Caracalla from Nikopolis
« on: November 29, 2005, 07:34:31 pm »
Sorry, I have a new one I'm not able to attribute. It is unlisted at Wildwinds or Coinarchives. It is an AE 27 for Caracalla from Nikopolis ad Istrum with a nice Nike leaning on a column. I have found this revers type for Macrinus and Diadumenian from Nikopolis on Coinarchives but not for Caracalla.

Obv. AY KM AYRHLI - ANTWNINOC
        bust, draped and cuirassed, r.
Rev. YP AYR GALLOY - NIKO - POLITWN / PROC ICTR
        Nike leaning on column l., holding long palm and wreath

Anyone who does know this type?

Any information appreciated (as always!)

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Unknown Nike on column for Caracalla from Nikopolis
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 12:26:30 am »
Although, except for Macrinus, I don't have one nearly so nice as yours, I have tried to collect a series of these, and I think this may be the earliest one I have, issued by Auspex the first magistrate for Septimius at Nicopolis.  Not very pretty, but well before AD 200.
18 09 02 AE 27/28  Nicopolis ad Istrum.  Pollenius Auspex (194/5 AD).  Septimius Severus, laureate, head to right.  AV KAI SEP      SEVEROS PER, confirming PickRev., Nike, with spread wings, stg. l., holding out a wreath in her r. hand, a long palm in the crook of her left arm, the left elbow resting on a stele (so Pick; here it could be any pillar).  VPA POL AVSPIKOS'NIK(tip of palm)POLI PROS IS (so evidently the same reverse die as Pick's two examples).  AMNG I, 1, p. 355, no. 1254.  Although the first letters of the reverse legend are partially off the flan, the name of the legate is complete here.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 12:31:58 am »
This is the ID for the Gallus Caracalla:
13 07 04 AE 26 13.28g  axis 6:30  Nicopolis ad Istrum.  Issued by Gallus.  Caracalla, laureate, bust in military cloak to r.  AV . .K .M . AVR .    ANTONINOS.  Rev., Nike stg. l, holding palm in her l. arm and leaning her elbow on a short pillar; in her lowered r. hand a floral (not stiff) wreath; her wings are shown as in 3/4 view.  . VP . AVR . GALLOV    NIKOPOLITON and in exergue PROS I.  Like AMNG I, 1, no. 1545 (and Septimius no. 1299), but the rev. legend does not match either.  The obverse is no. 1544.    Alex Bourgeois has a stg. Herakles to r. with this obv. (no. 1552).  Macr. and Diad. have this type of Nike (AMNG I, 1, Taf. XVI, 13).
I think between us we have at least two reverse dies for this type, this issue, so I add mine below, ugly as it is.

My Gallus Caracalla isn't so nice as yours, but I do like my Diadumenian (attached):
12 10 04 Æ 27  13.64g  axis 12:30.  Nicopolis ad Istrum.  Issued by Longinus.  Diadumeniant, draped bus to r.  M OPELLI DIADOV    MENIANOS KAI.  Rev., Nike stg. l., wings raised, holding wreath in her lowered r. hand and long palm on her l. arm, its elbow resting on garlanded pillar (shape uncertain).  VP STA LONGINOV NIKOPOLITOmegaN PR and in exergue OS ISTROmega.  Pick, AMNG I, 1, p. 468, no. 1847, Taf. XVI, 13 (illus. his sole specimen, in Vienna), both dies. 

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 12:36:12 am »
And here is what you might call the Ulpianus reissue for Caracalla (this is not the only Gallus or Tertullus  type that is reissued under Ulpianus when Caracalla was actually all grown up):
12 10 04 Æ 27  13.86g  axis 1:30  Nicopolis ad Istrum.  Issued by Ulpianus.  Caracalla, laureate, bust in scale armor to r.  [AV K] M AVR    ANTOmegaNINOS.  Rev., Nike stg. l., with raised wings, holding wreath in her lowered r. hand and long palm on her l., leaning on her elbow on a pillar, which here looks like a short column with Ionic capital.  V PhL OVLPIAN    [N]IKOPOLIT and in exergue PROS I.  Pick, AMNG I, 1, p. 410, no. 1571.

As you can see, I like these, too.  There is also a tiny copper with this Nike for Septimius.  Pat Lawrence

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 07:50:43 am »
Pat,

I'm pretty sure that your specimen is a die match to mine (below) - though yours is much better preserved. (I think Jerome H. has another one in his gallery - also a die match) - I think we've cornered the market  :D  and that this may be the only die combination (???)

-:Bacchus:-

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:06:45 am »
Very, very nice Victories! I think the attitude of Victory is a bit lascivious and reminds me a bit of poses of Aphrodite!

Thank you very much for the attribution!

And here is the last Nike leaning on column I have found on Coinarchives, an unattributed Macrinus from the legate Statius Longinus. The column with its garlands looks like that on the Diadumenian reverse (where you can see them on Bacchus' coin too). The so-called wreath on all of these types looks more like a taenia or a fascia I think than a wreath.

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 05:27:01 pm »
I promise this is the last, though (this being my favorite obverse die) I have two more of this die pair (Jerome, please forgive).  This is indeed the most 'personal' looking portrait of Macrinus that I know.  As you see, this coin was stripped, and I got it because in addition there is little wear on either the die or the coin and it shows, perhaps, that what we always call 'scale armor' might in some cases, even in most, actually be chain mail: this armor looks just like that of the noble youth, often called St. Theodore, at the south portal of Chartres Cathedral (on the jamb farthest west as I recall).  Either metal discs attached to form scales or the mesh was, of course, worn over leather.  The one I posted for Diadumenian is the only one that shows plainly a foreshortened rectanular base for the column, though that may have been shown on others, too.
Actually, the one imported by Jochen is fresher on all the high surfaces.
17 08 01AE2Nicopolis ad IstrumMacrinus, laureate, bust with detailed chain mail and some drapery, to r.  AVT K M OPEL SEV      MAKREINOS.  Rev., Nike winged, turning to l., leaning her l. arm on a short column with composite or similar capital and holding a very long palm (which does not look like palm), proffering a wreath in her r.  VP STA LONGINOV [NIKOPOLEI]TON PROS IS (continuous, the epsilon-iota diphthong in the bracketed section uncertain).  Not in Pick, AMNG I, 1 or SNG Cop 2 or Lindgren.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 10:17:55 am »
This is a coin I won last night:

Septimius Severus AE18 (3.1 g) from Nikopolis ad Istrum.
Obv: AV KAI CE - CEVHPOC, laureate head right.
Rev: NIKOPOLIT-WN-PPOC IC, Nike with spread wings, leaning on column with left arm, holding a long palm in left arm and a wreath (?) in right hand.

Much smaller than all the coins shown above and not very well preserved, but this Nike is just irresistible. Again, I could not find any coin of that type online, could somebody with more experience and more reference works available provide help?

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 02:21:24 pm »
Yes, I have one, and I am so glad that you got the new one, which I saw.  I referred to the little one in Reply #4 above.  How early could the undated one be?  Judging from the head of Septimius (if we can; we don't know how long they used the obverse dies for the little coppers), it could be earlier than the datable ones or at least as early (not that we are sure of the exact dates of the magistrates, but we do know their sequence).  Pat L.
Here are the data on mine:
08 09 03 AE 16 2.25g axis 2:00  Nicopolis ad IstrumSeptimius Severus, laureate, head to r.  [A]V KAI SE      SEVEROS.  Rev., Nike with raised wings stg holding wreath in her r. hand, leaning her l. elbow on a pillar, with a long palm branch in the crook of her arm.. NIKOPOLIT     ON  PRO[S IS].  Pick, AMNG I, 1, p. 378, no. 1371.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity