Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anti-Christian/Crusader grafiti?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
Anti-Christian/Crusader grafiti?
« on: October 20, 2005, 08:55:32 pm »
Hey everyone,
I just recieved my first Crusader coin today, and I am quite pleased. 
Kingdom of Jerusalem
obv. AMALRICVS REX - cross, two pellets
re. DE IERVSALEM - Church of the Holy Sepulchre

So, as I was admiring my new aquisition, I noticed that there appears to be an X through the Sepulchre on the reverse.  In hand, it is very prodnounced and well proportioned, and stays strictly on top of the Church, making me think that it was deliberate.  What do you think?  I love thinkimg up of possible stories... Could it have been done by a Muslim of the time who hated Christians, the Crusaders or both?
As you can see, it has a hole and was probably worn as jewlry on a necklace.  The hole is directly above the cross, so the cross was probably the main idea for wearing the coin.  Maybe a souvenir of a Crusader, or of an Arab who had driven out the Christians? 
An interesting coin, in my opinion.  What do you think? What of that X over the Sepulchre?

~Zach

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Anti-Christian/Crusader grafiti?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 01:09:00 pm »
It looks more like a case of the metal failing to fill the reverse die along the line of the cross on the obverse.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity