Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin Collection Insurance for UK residents  (Read 10332 times)

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Coin Collection Insurance for UK residents
« on: October 14, 2005, 08:36:20 am »
I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this but it was the best I could find.

I've just renewed my house contents insurance and went through the Lloyds broker on-line service .  As my coin collection is worth more than a certain threshold for "stealable items" I got referred (with a reference number) to a freephone telephone number but the fact that I tried to go on-line still entitled me to a 15% discount. 

Apparently coin collections are strange things to insurers in that there is no one item worth over £1,000 (unfortunately  8)) but the whole collection is worth more.  However, you can get an option where stealable individual items up to quite a high total blanket amount are covered under the precious items section of their policy.  Additional items such as wardrobes etc. are lumped together under other items.  Taking this option was actually good value. Basicially £100 per year for £50,000 contents including a substantial amount of precious items.  No need to list individual items either (thank goodness) though I'd imagine that a good inventory and photographic evidence would really help if something bad did happen.

This is definitely worth it, in my opinion.  The extra cost of this was minimal to what I'd had to have spent anyway.  I know that some people bank their coins and if they are really expensive that's probably for the best ,but I like to actually work (or play as my wife calls it  ::)) with mine so that's not an option

Whilst I'd encourage everyone to insure their collection , I hope this shows that it need not necessarily be frighteningly expensive.

-Bacchus:-

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Re: Coin Collection Insurance for UK residents
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:51:42 am »
I think the above is SPAM  :police:

Malcolm

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:27:18 am »
If I were you then I'd email the OP and, just to confirm, ask if
this was in fact SPAM, and then initiate a dialog on the pros
and cons of such posts. There is a need for clarification.
 ;D

Walter Holt
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 06:58:13 am »
Certaintly not spam, this is an important topic.

It is a persistently difficult issue, so difficult that I never keep anything at home.

The gist of discussions I have had on this topic, regarding insurance under a general policy, is that if your house burns down, you may get compensated, also if there seems to be an opportunistic theft in which you also lost your ipod, laptop and some silver tableware. In such cases, the coins are just contents like anything else. But you are likely to have to prove value after the fact, and purchase receipts may be inadequate at the time you make a claim. The insurer may well seek a "valuation" which of course no-one ever has, since that is an expensive process. If your coins are targeted, you may face much greater problems getting compensation. There is also likely a limitation on valuables as a percentage of the insured total (perhaps 20% or less), and, even worse, as valuables as a percentage of claim for any one incident. So that if the coins were stolen as such you may fail that hurdle.

The long and short of it, you may be able to insure a collection under a general insurance. But you may not be able to claim in practice, except if the collection was lost to a general incident such as a burn-down or a general ransacking. The hassle of arranging the insurance may adversely affect the cost of your insurance as a whole - it may greatly limit the number of policy providers you can go to for example. You may find there are very specific target-hardening measures that are required (alarms, window locks, occupancy, even fire-proof safes screwed into concrete fittings.), and if you forget to put on the alarm or go on a 15 day holiday all this can be invalidated. The fact of talking about the subject on the internet may invalidate the policy - there has been news articles in the UK recently where the fact of showing your house on facebook may invalidate its insurance, let alone talking about holiday plans.

I'm sure there is a Dilbert cartoon covering this scenario, but the net result is that the £100 mentioned may in practice insure you for hardly anything.

Best advice, don't keep any valuables at home, which you are not prepared to lose.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:18:40 am »
Mine's in some knackered looking binders .
Excellent, thanks Robert.  I have often drooled over many of the fantastic coins in your gallery, so now I know where they are kept, if you could now just let me know the next time you will be out......... ;)

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:03:19 am »
I've upgraded out apartment lock (which, with hindsight, was a joke) after our apartment was burgled.
Luckily they only took the camera (which once cost about $200 and they didn't get the charger) and a laptop
which we didn't really need. They did not take any of the coins which were mostly lying on the desk.
There is one specific coin that I can't find which they theoretically might have taken but I doubt it.

If they had taken the coins I don't think I'd still be here. I didn't even dare to look in my room for a long while
after we came home to a burgled apartment.
Andreas Reich

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:34:28 am »
My wardrobe has shelves in it and I keep my coin cases at the back of one of them with clothes stacked in front and on top. Hopefully a thief won't think to look there but I do worry and really should get round to insuring them.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 09:37:49 am »
They do look between the clothes, after all that is where old ladies hide their money;D
Andreas Reich

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 11:24:19 am »
and I keep my coin cases at the back of one of them with  stacked in front and on top. Hopefully a thief won't think to look there but I do worry and really should get round to insuring them.
I know that I joked about it with Robert's post, but in all seriousess, isn't this kind of like posting your credit card PIN on a public forum and hoping that the potential thieves never find the card? 
I'm not sure sharing where you hide your treasures is such a good idea, especially as anyone can find someone's address quite easily through internet sources these days.  Obviously I am not casting doubt on any Forvm member, but we have had unscrupulous people on the boards from time to time :(
regards
Mark

romeo

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 11:45:23 am »
I would like to know where you can store your coins (apart from your house). I asked at the Barclays bank as to whether they had safe deposit boxes or could store anything like a coin collection and the snotty ignorant giggling buffoon just laughed and said this isnt America! :o

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 12:06:15 pm »
Clearly the guy didn't have a clue. Some (not all) high street banks do have deposit boxes or secure storage - the older branches generally do offer these facilities if you ask (and have enough money).
You could also invest in a heavy-duty safe which can be bolted to the wall or floor, hidden etc. If it's heavy enough, it's not going anywhere. They're not that expensive.
Or, you could dig a hole, put your coins in it and hope you remember where it was. I thoroughly recommend this practice - it would give the collection a nice circular history: coins buried, coins found, coins buried.

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 12:25:54 pm »
Oops didn't think of that. Oh well got plenty of other hiding places. I've been looking at getting a safe which can be bolted into the floor. I just havent seen one yet that would be big enough (and cheap enough) to hold two large coin cases. Regards  Adrian

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 01:19:33 pm »
Too late, I remember both your name and where you live.  :P
Andreas Reich

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 03:04:39 pm »
 :angel: Nevermind, gave me an excuse to change my username to something a little less "formal"

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 03:27:18 pm »
Too late, I remember both your name and where you live.  :P

I'll meet you there, 4 hands are better than 2....:)

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 03:31:34 pm »
Just watch out for the mother in law  :evil:

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 09:07:52 pm »
I used to conceal my collection in 'special books' within my library.  Figured a thief wouldn't take the time to examine each of 1200+ books.  But then, when a co-worker's house burned down, I decided a bank safe deposit box was the way to go.  $65/yr for a large box was cheaper than the additional $125/yr insurance rider.  I have a fire proof gun vault, but as mentioned above, valuables you couldn't stand to lose shouldn't be kept at home.  Besides, a safe deposit box is handy for wills, heirlooms, backup CDs, POAs etc.

Offline aragon6

• Comitia Curiata
  • Praetorian
  • Violent times..yet the beauty they created is here
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 09:26:51 pm »
My problem is that I enjoy keeping my coins available to me simply because I like to look at them.  I keep them in a cheap looking binder with some other types of binders with books and bits an pieces of stuff.  Insurance got too expensive and I have had to unfortunately move a lot.  My laptop, printer and camera are better choices if anybody breaks in.  But I do have extra locks on the doors and being on the 4th floor you would have to be spiderman.  It is the best I could do.

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 08:14:35 am »
I don't keep all my coins squirreled away...what would be the point?  My top end collection resides in the bank, but my (active) collecting focus remains at my fingertips.   I don't worry about being broken into, but have taken steps to minimize losses if it happens.    Two very large and not so friendly dogs are also a plus.

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 02:23:59 pm »
I have a very heavy safe and it is well bolted into the foundation of my house...It is also supposed to be fire proof...not to mention I have a rather large (and mean sounding) dog alarm system...They are going to have to work for my coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity