Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: If you had to choose 10 Islamic coins...  (Read 26832 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: If you had to choose 10 Islamic coins...
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2021, 09:25:32 am »
This one is the perfect cross over piece,

ISLAMIC. Anatolia & al-Jazira (Post-Seljuk). Artuqids (Kayfa & Amid). Fakhr al-Din Qara Arslan (AH 543-570 / AD 1148-1174). Ae Dirham.

Obv: Victory advancing right, holding tablet.
Rev: Name, title, and genealogy of Fakhr al-Din Qara Arslan in four lines and outer margins.

Whelan Type V, 127-8; S&S Type 3; Album 1820.3; ICV 1175.

Weight: 10.81 g.
Diameter: 32 mm.

I won this at auction at the beginning of the year, it arrived today. The coin is based on Constantine the Great solidus, the even left VICTORIA CONSTANTINI AVG on the obverse. Nice large sized Bronze. 32mm
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2021, 12:07:00 pm »
I have some Islamic gold (2), but no camera or smart phone and not handy.  I like the calligraphy, "beloved...something series. and (I believe) a Mughul coin.  Also a crusader gold coin in (imitation I am told) arabic script.  One series that is extraordinary, that I have seen in catalogues is the gold astrological series, or maybe there is more than one??  It is a different kind of beauty than Greek or Roman, but bakkar is right, it is quite beautiful. 

I apologize for my vagueness, but I suspect that experienced coin collectors are like the POWs in the POW camp.  There was a new shotdown pilot brought in an put in a cell with an "old-timer".  Someone yelled out "42!" and everybody laughed and roared.  Then someone yelled "73!" and that created a good chuckle.  The new prisoner looked at the old-timer and the old-timer explained that they had told the same jokes so many times, that all they had to do is refer to the number, instead of actually telling the joke.  The new prisoner got excited and wanting to be part of the game, yelled out, "57!".  Nobody reacted.  The new prisoner, wondering what he had said wrong, looked at the old timer, to which the old-timer replied, "Oh, don't worry about it kid, that joke is just not that funny."

So I hope that in my vagueness, if some old-timer to Islamic coins finds it worthwhile, they will show examples of the coins, or something in the ball park.  In some ways, I think the iconoclastic, calligraphic coins are more typical, although that also means that the more 'pictural' one are conceptually quite interesting, given the iconoclasism of Islamic culture.

Offline Victor N

• Praetorian
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2021, 11:21:49 am »
This is one of my favourites out of my large collection of Islamic coins

Artuqids of Mardin, Najm al-Din Alpi, AE Dirham,   11.76g

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 10:09:29 pm »
ARTUQID of MARDIN.Najim al-Din Alpi.1152-1176 AD.No Mint.558 AD.AE Dirhem .Confronted draped male busts / Byzantine emperor standing facing, being crowned by the Virgin Mary.Album 1827.3; SS-28.

Condition: Extremely fine.

Weight: 16.6 gr
Diameter: 33 mm
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2022, 05:15:52 pm »
I picked up another example of what I think to be SS1 , but comparing the two I am not sure they are, I see similarity in the Arabic on the reverse but not sure if it is a match.

The obverse are different coins in style but again was SS1 minted in different styles of anonymous follis types?

The upper is the newer acquisition.

Offline Victor N

• Praetorian
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2022, 05:28:02 pm »
A favourite of mine and a very rare type:

Ayyubid issued in Yemen - in the name of al-Kamil Abu al-Ma'ali Muhammad bin Abu Bakar, mint Ta'izz, date 634.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2022, 05:40:01 pm »
Lovely coin.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity