Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Announcements and Help  |  Discussion Board and Website Help (Moderators: Joe Sermarini, Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: TIP: Posting Scans and Pics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TIP: Posting Scans and Pics  (Read 12411 times)
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« on: July 16, 2002, 02:47:19 pm »

POSTING AN IMAGE FROM YOUR HARD DRIVE

If you have an image you would like to share and it is on your hard drive, you can attach it to your post.  

YOU MUST INCLUDE A SUBJECT AND TEXT IN YOUR POST OR THE IMAGE WILL NOT UPLOAD.  

If there is any problem with your pic upload your text may be lost and you will need to start over.  We recommend you save your text by highlighting it and using a right click and copy before you try to save the post to the boards.  Then if you are "blanked out" by the picture not posting right, you can paste the text on your second try and will not have to re-type it.

*.jpg OR *.jpeg 80 KB OR SMALLER ONLY!
Make sure your file is a .jpg or .jpeg file no bigger than 80k or it won't load!!  (To check the size right click image and select properties, file size.....)   Please crop off all wasted space around the coin.  Please limit pics to 750 pixels wide max.  If your file is too big you will have to make it smaller using imaging software such as Photoshop, Corel Draw, MS Paint, or PhotoImpact.  Some photo processing software inaccurately report file size.  If you have repeat problems uploading your software might have this problem.  To check right click on the .jpg file in a windows folder to read the image size  using "properties."  

EACH UPLOADED FILE MUST HAVE A UNIQUE NAME.  If the file name is already used the file will not upload.  Rename the file and try again.  

DO NOT USE THE PREVIEW FUNCTION IF YOU HAVE ATTACHED A PIC.  Just go directly to post.  If you then notice something you want to change, you can always modify it.  

Left click the browse button, after the menu pops up, browse through your files find the pic (.jpg or .jpeg file), left click once on pic to select (highlight it), left click open button, then it should also appear in the file selection slot (the slot next to the browse button).

All posts must have a subject and text or they will not save.
You cannot attach an image to a blank post - you have to write something.  
Do not preview your post after attaching an image, it will delete the attachment.  

When you save your post the image will be attached.  

If it doesn't work the first time, delete the post and try again from scratch.

POSTING AN IMAGE FROM THE FORVM WEBSITE

Pictures on other web sites are almost always deleted after a short period.  Do not link to photos on other websites.  It is OK to link to photos on the Forum website, including the Gallery, Fake Coin Reports, Auction, and Shop.  

If you want to share an image from the Forum website you can include it in your post by clicking the picture frame icon button.  When you are in the message posting view the picture frame icon button is above the text input area. The button looks like this:

The picture of the button is actual size.  After you press the button, it will bring up this text:  

Replace the letters "URL" with the actual URL of your photo.  If you don't know what a URL is, they look like this:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/images/img.gif

The URL is the address on the web where your image is located.  Every page and photo on the web has a URL. To find the URL of your photo, right click the image and then left click properties. You can highlight the URL and then cut it (control c) and then paste it into your post (control v).  

When you save your post, the photo will replace the code.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
maridvnvm
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 03:58:42 am »

If you have already uploaded an image to the boards and want to re-use it in another post then you cannot do this by uploading the image again because the filename is already in use. You could change the name and upload but this takes up room on the server and is not ideal. What you should do is link to the already posted image. This is quite simple. Use the instructions above for inserting an image from the web and use the following url:-

"http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/attachments/"

followed by the filename of the image that you uploaded e.g. abc.jpg.

This will insert the already uploaded picture into your post.

If the filename has spaces in then the spaces will have been replaced by underscores when it was uploaded i.e. "_".

I may be telling many people what they already know but I had to experiment a bit to get it to work and couldn't find the information anywhere.

Regards,
Maridvnvm
Optimo Principi
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:47 am »

Probably a stupid question - how can I structure a post so that Pictures are interspersed with the text rather than all grouped at the end?

E.g.

QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM

PIC

MNBVCXZLKJHGFDSAPOIUYTREWQ

PIC

Thanks
Gareth

areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 12:38:09 pm »

You have to upload a picture somewhere and then use the IMG tags:

I don't think you can do that with attachments. Right-click on a picture in your gallery (not the thumbnail of it unless you want to embed a smaller picture) and choose 'copy image address' or similar. Then paste this address between the image tags.

Using IMG tags to display images stored on other peoples' servers is considered bad form (because the other party pays for the bandwidth). It might also be a copyright issue.

Dr. Danny S. Jones
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Danny Jones

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 12:45:41 pm »

Any pictures that appear within you text must be linked images from other places on the web. You could upload your photos to an image hosting site such as flickr, etc., then link via the above mentioned method. i.e.
Code:
[img]http://urlofyourlinkedpicturehere[/img]

For simplicity sake and to insure that your pictures you post on FORVM will stay posted (as Joe mentioned in his post that many pictures from other sites will eventually be removed and result in broken links) it's just a lot easier to let FORVM host your pics by uploading them and letting them display at the bottom of your post.

Regards,
Danny

Dr. Danny S. Jones
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Danny Jones

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 12:48:16 pm »

And as Andreas pointed out, you can link to pictures that have already been posted to FORVM to display in your text. Just find the picture url in your gallery or in the original post where it was found and you can use the url code to allow display within the text body.

Optimo Principi
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 12:51:27 pm »

I understand, thanks Andreas and Danny for your responses.

I didn't know you could link to your gallery as a hosted image - that's a big help.

It would be very handy to be able to position other attachments within your post also.. but there's obviously some pesky IT issue preventing that.

Aarmale
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 02:29:25 pm »

I didn't know you could link to your gallery as a hosted image

Just about any image on the internet can be used as a hosted image, assuming the .htaccess allows this.

I don't know how "safe" this method is, but I can attach a file to a post and then reference it in an img tag to put it in a page.  Example:

When I say "safe" I mean that I'm not sure if URLs of uploaded files change, as this would make the images not work.  I'm not even sure if the path to images changes for different users.  Can someone see the above image?

Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Announcements and Help  |  Discussion Board and Website Help (Moderators: Joe Sermarini, Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: TIP: Posting Scans and Pics « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop