Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Attaleia? help...  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Leptis Magna

• Praetorian
  • kindred spirit...
Attaleia? help...
« on: December 18, 2004, 01:02:45 pm »
Well, I give up on this one...
I always try myself first, but it is sure nice to know that Curtis, Luigi, Salem and the other nice folks at FORVM are out there to try to help!
The obverse doesn't look much like a Roman emperor, but then it doesn't look much like Senate or Demos either. The few readable letters seem like - MVL   /   G?IA.
The reverse I thought I had at Attaleia, but now I'm starting to doubt it. Lydia is the right region however. I'm seeing the reverse inscription as - ?H??G AT / TALIA?
If anyone recognizes it, I'd greatly appreciate hearing.
Cheers - Al

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re:Attaleia? help...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 04:16:15 pm »
Al,

i think you're ovestimating my expertise  :)
The evidence is i can't help with your coin. I have just a couple of wild comments to offer.

Obverse appears to me showing the head of Demos and on reverse i see Dionysos holding kantharos and thyrsus.

As for the mint i really don't know, but please consider that ATTALIA... could be also the portion of a magistrate's name, such as Attalianus; if so the name of the mint is perhaps after obverse DEMOC (that is in front of Demos face).

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline Leptis Magna

• Praetorian
  • kindred spirit...
Re:Attaleia? help...
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 08:12:33 pm »
Luigi-
Thanks for the info. Sorry for the delay in responding.
You are right, one can see MOC now on the left. Mint on the right of the obverse? Boy, I'll never get the hang of these provincials.
Here's a better shot of the inscription in that area.
Cheers - Al

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Attaleia? help...
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 06:38:57 pm »
In case it's of any interest after 15 years, this is a coin of Silandos, Lydia, with the city name on the obverse and the name of the magistrate Attalianos on the reverse.

AD 161-192.
Obv: DHMOC CILA(NDEWN), laureate head of Demos right.
Rev: EPI CTA ATTALIANOY, Dionysos, loins draped long, standing left, holding kantharos and thyros, panther at foot left.
BMC 6-7; Imhoof LS 5; Bernhart 278; Waddington 5386; Paris 1352; Leypold I, 1240; Lindgren A823A; ; Kurth Demos 625; (Kurth Dionysos 603, soon to be on Lulu) and no. 11 in my new Lydia catalog (STILL waiting for the publishers to make the few corrections I sent).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity