Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: History and Coinage. A Byzantine debate topic.  (Read 30038 times)

yafet_rasnal

Re:History and Coinage. A Byzantine debate topic.
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2004, 02:25:47 am »
The sicily was conquered by Normanin the end of XI century, not so soon. By the way the remaining south of italy was still in byzantine hands till that time except for 40 years during which the arabs had an emirate in Bari and conquered quite all southern italy. this forced the emperor Basil I to ally with the german emperor to fight together against this emirate and recover then southern italy.

corvus

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2005, 09:03:17 am »
Anybody else with fine and interesting 5-7th century coins?

Vercingetorix shall we than (not letting this treat down) go forward and meet next period(s) of empire?  :)

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2005, 01:10:57 pm »
Yes Corvus, I think it's time we moved to the next period. Of course we can turn back to the previous one with new material anytime, by modifying older messeges or adding new ones. I am waiting for someone to start the debate upon the middle period, the greek state of the 7th-10th c., so that more members would have the opportunity to contribute to the discussion.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

corvus

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005, 02:47:46 am »
will open than discussion, but will make new subject with same name under vol2. (easy to follow later)

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2005, 03:50:59 am »
Ok, write the same title and in the end write the period we are dealing with, so everybody will understant what vol II is about.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: History and Coinage. A Byzantine debate topic.
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 02:28:57 pm »
Hi ;
I like this topic with the excellent change of vues.
Regards.
Nassif

Offline Robert C2

• Legionary
Re: History and Coinage. A Byzantine debate topic.
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2016, 08:51:56 am »
Re Justinian I and rgarding the above "Anybody else with fine and interesting 5-7th century coins?" I should bring up the following which  is certainly about Byzantine History and Coinage but may have been lost by being posted in the wrong place:
"I recently became interested in Justinian's Thessalonica-mint coins with the unusual denominations of 16 (indicated i Greek by IS on the reverses), 8 (as H), 4 (as Delta), and 2 (as B) nummi. Only the 16 nummi denomination is common. All denominations occur with the letters A - Rho (if also in Greek, looking like Latin A - P). In doing research, I found several previously suggested explanations of the two-letter combination that seemed dubious at best. I looked at the history of the period and thought that these unusual coins may have been closely related to Justinian's Gothic War to recover Rome and Italy from the Ostrogoths. I drafted a paper with a possible explanation of the letters that is available at:
https://www.academia.edu/27183640/The_Gothic_War_and_Justinians_Unusual_Thessalonican_Coins 
I realize that I need to improve the draft and would welcome comments and suggestions, which I would be happy to credit to the offerors. While I will value any responses, my greatest interest is in any information about where these coin denominations, both in hoards and singly, have been found: Macedonia? Italy? Sicily? Elsewhere? Much thanks to anyone who will help!"
PS "I see a nice example of a "Gothic War" coin with reverse "AISP" right here on Forum:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=77229q00.jpg&vpar=797&zpg=87805&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/ "

All coins are guaranteed for eternity