Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Colosseum Sesteritus!  (Read 551 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
A Colosseum Sesteritus!
« on: October 30, 2023, 03:56:03 am »
I'm a lifelong fan of Roman history. Many of the Roman history books I read as a child illustrated coins depicting the Colosseum. From an early age I was aware of these coins. Before collecting Roman coins I thought I'd never hold one, after I started collecting I never thought I'd own one ... that is until now. Recently, this piece came up for sale, although worn it's honest and the major devices are still intact, but more importantly price-wise it was within reach. I cannot think of another coin type I would want more. It is a way to connect with my childhood while simultaneously touching a history I've always found immensely fascinating.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=184767

In hand.

https://youtu.be/rEZNAOEWfcQ?si=Aa6jG52Ltsby5kE5

Aaron Berk estimates there are no more than 80 of these coins in existence today, many of which have tooling and/or smoothing issues. Thankfully, this is one of the rare pieces that is untouched. A major gap in my collection has finally been filled!

As always, thank you for looking and watching!

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: A Colosseum Sesteritus!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 07:03:41 am »
Amazing! Congratulations!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 08:01:46 am »
Great type. I haven't even handled one yet. Nice!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 11:00:22 am »
Congratulations David, your enthusiasm for the coin, and Roman history in general, is evident, I'm very pleased for you.

Alex

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 08:11:13 pm »
I don't think there are many other coins that could top this for a Flavian collector.  Fantastic piece!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 11:17:12 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Jay, it was my number one collecting goal to acquire an example. I can't think of another Flavian type that surpasses it!

And Joe, that speaks volumes regarding the rarity!

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2023, 12:10:51 pm »
Such a fantastic coin. I appreciate your passion. Congrats!

Virgil

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 04:30:21 pm »
Congratulations! Not that I was thinking of it for myself, but I definitely noticed that one. It's great to see it ending up with your collection!

Is this a new one? N. Elkins published all those he found in sale catalogs didn't he?

I have a long file of annotated 20th century auction catalogs, and this is one of the types I make note of as an index of catalog quality. Looks like 26 results for "Colosseum" in my notes (but including the Severus Alexander ones). Let me know if you're researching provenance & I'll send you the sales with one of these (and their online links), since there may be something others missed.
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 06:25:36 pm »
Curtis, as far as I know Elkins did not know of this specimen, despite its 1985 auction record. My assumption is that he missed many more. I think Aaron is closer to being accurate with his guess of between 70 to 80 specimens of the Colosseum type in all its variants. Of course, that's anecdotal and not based on scholarly research.

Certainly I would be interested in any provenance research you have regarding this type! My email info is in my profile.

Thanks for the offer!

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 02:03:10 am »
Yes, that's a remarkable Colosseum coin comparable to the Eid Mar denarii as you quite rightly mentioned in your description of the rare sestertius and redolent of the sounds and spectacle of the Roman Empire. I also greatly appreciate you sharing the video of the sestertius with us. Perseverance and patience always pays off eventually. Well worth the wait!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2023, 09:28:49 am »
Yes, that's a remarkable Colosseum coin comparable to the Eid Mar denarii as you quite rightly mentioned in your description of the rare sestertius and redolent of the sounds and spectacle of the Roman Empire. I also greatly appreciate you sharing the video of the sestertius with us. Perseverance and patience always pays off eventually. Well worth the wait!

In Harlan J Berk's 100 Greatest Ancient Coins, the Colosseum sestertius is the second highest ranked Roman coin behind the EID MAR ... with the general public it would probably #1!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2023, 10:59:33 am »
What I like about coins like this is that you don't have to explain what it is you're looking at.  A casual observer will be able to tell it's the Colosseum

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2023, 07:31:28 pm »
What I like about coins like this is that you don't have to explain what it is you're looking at.  A casual observer will be able to tell it's the Colosseum

Exactly! Everyone knows the Colosseum, not everyone knows what EID MAR means!

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2023, 02:01:40 am »
Fantastic coin, congrats. You must have nearly all the Flavian architectural types now?

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2023, 09:58:26 am »
You must have nearly all the Flavian architectural types now?

Pretty much ... I'm just missing a few varieties. For example, Domitian struck a series of temple denarii at the end of his reign, of which I'm missing a few.

The Colosseum sestertius is of course the crowning architectural coin type ... so I'm not complaining!

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2023, 01:36:23 pm »
What an addition! I am bowled over, this is a once in a lifetime collecting achievement. I am so thrilled for you!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2023, 10:22:29 am »
What an addition! I am bowled over, this is a once in a lifetime collecting achievement. I am so thrilled for you!

Thanks Dave! I knew you would appreciate this one!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity