Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Introduction from a newbie  (Read 1484 times)

Yaser K

Introduction from a newbie
« on: April 17, 2021, 10:56:45 am »
Hi guys . A bit about myself,  ive been interested in collecting coins for the past 20 years or so . A few years back during harder times i sold my small collection,  i now find myself drawn back into this wonderful hobby. Im a forum newbie and its taken great courage to join as im no expert and anxious about having lack of knowledge .
I was bit by the ancient bug as a young man in my teens , while accompanying my uncle a keen metal detecting enthusiast and amateur historian . We would trek miles out from our village in kashmir to vast open fields , my job mostly was digging and the excitement of what we would find would help me tolerate the summer heat .
His motto was where there was broken pottery there would be coins . Believe it or not we found vast amounts of coins from the British raj , to mughal era and way back to coins from vima kadphises and soter megas (vima takto.)
But what intrigued me the most was one summer day while metal detecting in some muddy fields we found a small square bronze coin, with what appeared to be greek writing on one side . Me in my naivety questioned what a greek coin would be doing in pakistani kashmir ...my uncle smiled and that evening sat in our veranda told me the story of iskander , Alexander the great . How this young man battled the thousands of miles conquering into the unknown and achieving a god like status ...the coin we found was a square chalkous of menander one of the greek descendants of Alexanders legacy.  ..
Ive been hooked ever since ...i collect coins of Alexander and his companions ,but am mainly trying to gather an indo greek and bactrian collection.
Much to my dismay i didn't realise the massive amounts such coins are achieving at auctions and dealer sites.  I only wish i had kept some of the coins we found, most were sold in the local bazar for nothing and some we even swapped for a fridge! . Im uk based now and am slowly trying to put together a collection, im no expert but think i have a good grasp of types and styles of indo greek and bactrian coinage but would love to have access to the great knowledge on here.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Introduction from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 12:48:46 pm »
... its taken great courage to join as im no expert and anxious about having lack of knowledge .

Welcome to the forum! We were all newbies once and I remain a newbie in many of the areas in which I dabble. Those with knowledge in any given area are always more than happy to help a newbie out. You'll find this forum to be a welcoming place. Stkp

Yaser K

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 01:02:55 pm »
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!  +++ :)

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 01:29:18 pm »
Hi Indogreek,

welcome and enjoy the many different coin collections and many more stuff here to see and read
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 02:36:50 pm »
Welcome!

What a fascinating background.  As a child I would have loved nothing more than to have sat with you and your uncle on the verandah and then dug through the fields.  Sounds like a dream.

I remember taking my kids a few times through freshly plowed farm fields when we lived in Austria.  Lots of small surface finds - fragments of pottery, including terra sigillata, and tiny bits of Roman glass.  I know there were coins there but without a metal detector the only metal object we ever found was a Roman nail - sticking straight up so too obvious to miss.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Yaser K

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 03:10:02 pm »
Thanks guys yes otlichnik, we were so lucky to live in an area with so much deep history, the greeks , the aryan tribes, the mongols and timur , mughals then of course the British.  The best part of the day was the evening where we would go through our old books looking at plates of coins to identify our finds .. we always hoped to hit gold but never did but an abundance of copper , bronze and a few silver amazing coins.

Offline CoinMinion

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 06:20:50 pm »
Greetings, Indogreek, from another newbie!  I have no coin experience, so you’re ready ahead of me. ;D  Looking forward to chatting with you on the forums and comparing journies!
Dee

Yaser K

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 09:30:45 am »
 ;)   thanks coinminion .. i guess every expert was a newbie once ..hope you enjoy what is a wonderful rewarding hobby !

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 10:18:46 pm »
Welcome Indogreek82, I am also pretty new to this but it is a great hobby, lots of enjoyment and your background is wonderful.
Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 10:41:48 pm »
Welcome!  Great story. You're already ahead of the game,  you know what you want to collect.  Enjoy the hunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity