Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hand of God coin from Antioch ?  (Read 621 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Hand of God coin from Antioch ?
« on: April 14, 2021, 10:13:55 am »

The Hand of God coin is one of my favorite types.  I've cleaned several in the last year, but they all have only partially readable legends and mint marks.  The first coin pictured below is one I cleaned a few years ago and is already waxed. In part by deduction, I am inclined to attribute it as the veiled head type and to the Antioch mint.  I'm seeing the mint mark as [SM]AN :Greek_Delta:.  However, ERIC II does not list a Hand of God coin minted in Antioch with the veiled head obverse; it only lists the veiled draped bust type as minted in Antioch. To me this appears to clearly be a veiled head type.  Am I missing something or just not seeing this mint mark right ? 

Also, the second coin, in hand, appears to have traces of silvering on it. I understand these are sometimes referred to as reduced folles and Sear says the follis was a silver washed coin. But I cannot find a direct reference to the Hand of God coins being silver washed. Of course, it occurs to me that it may have been considered a slight to the recently deceased Emperor if these commemoratives were not "silver."  What in hand appears to be traces of silvering are mostly in the areas which appear as yellowish dirt in the picture. The "silvering" is easly seen when the coin is viewed at an angle.  It also occurs to me that I may just being seeing silica dirt with the light reflection giving off a silver look.  Do we know or believe these little coins were silver washed ?  Thanks.

Ken 

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Hand of God coin from Antioch ?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 12:26:30 pm »
These busts are often not described well in sources.

In my forthcoming book I argue that the standard type, used at Antioch and several other mints, is actually a bust.  Though cut off short like a traditional head portrait it has drapery at the bottom and well preserved examples all show a small ring-like object - the fibula used to fasten the clothing.  So this is really a bust.

Sometimes it is found at Nicomedia and Antioch with the drapery but sans fibulaStill a bust given the drapery.

It is found with no drapery or fibula, thus looking like a head, at Treveri and Nicomedia.  But often the regular type at Nicomedia has only the slightest trace of drapery so it may just be an error or case of wear.

Alexandria has a version with a curve, like on a traditional neck, but with drapery and without a shoulder.

I therefore call all of these - short bust with a hint of drapery.

The confusion stems from the fact that there is a true bust, with shoulders, at Lugdunum.  So some sources call that the bust and the rest a head.

As for silvering.  I believe that they, like all the coins of this period (330-341)  were, though it is very rare to find any remains today.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 01:16:42 pm »
Do we know or believe these little coins were silver washed

Yes, but very uncommon to find them with anything left.

Here's one that sold on eBay a while back - not my coin.

Alexandrian silvering seems to survive better than that at most mints - not sure if they were better silvered in the first place, or just the dry climate helped preserve it, or both.

Ben

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 10:32:45 pm »
Thanks for the responses fellows. Below is a pic of the coin from an angle. I’ve now looked at it under a 16x loup and 20x lenses in my scope and I’m sure it’s traces of silvering. Pretty cool.
Shawn, your book will focus on the Hand of God and/or VN MR issues, or be broader in scope?  In any event, I’m interested!
Ken

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 05:23:32 pm »
Ken,

Yes, it definitely looks like traces of silvering there.  Nice.

My book focusses on all bronze reverse types 324-395.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity