Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek/possibly roman ID help  (Read 623 times)

Christos P2

Greek/possibly roman ID help
« on: April 12, 2021, 05:11:42 pm »
Hey guys, i found that my great grand father was a collector and i recently started identifying all the coins he had. But i got problems on some of the coins and i would greatly appreciate your help. By the size i assume it is ancient greek (bronze) because i got some others that look the same and are pretty much the same size.

Excuse my photos it is my first time taking pics of coins or croping them.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Greek/possibly roman ID help
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 05:48:14 pm »
Late Roman, but I don’t know how specific an attribution you can get since it is so worn. 

Christos P2

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:20:50 am »
Thank you for your help sir!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:11:49 pm »
I couldn't figure this out last night.  But looking at it with fresh eyes this morning I think it is a VIRTVS EXERCITI of circa 395-401.  

It is made on a too-small flan, but you can just make out the two figures on the reverse.  The Emperor stands on the left side.  On the right side the shorter figure of Victory crowning the Emperor with a laurel wreath.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Christos P2

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 12:50:05 pm »
I couldn't figure this out last night.  But looking at it with fresh eyes this morning I think it is a VIRTVS EXERCITI of circa 395-401.  

It is made on a too-small flan, but you can just make out the two figures on the reverse.  The Emperor stands on the left side.  On the right side the shorter figure of Victory crowning the Emperor with a laurel wreath.

SC

Thats interesting! Thank you,i appreciate your help :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity