Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins Whose Mintage is Uncertain  (Read 372 times)

Offline Eric C2

• Legionary
Coins Whose Mintage is Uncertain
« on: April 12, 2021, 11:35:15 am »
I was looking at an online auction listing today, and noticed that a number of coins listed for Caesar Augustus were given the designation as being from an "UNCERTAIN MINT". So I am curious if this would generally have an effect on whether or not collectors might regard this as a negative when it comes to deciding on whether or not to bid for that particular coin(s)?

If bidding on it, would you bid less for it if the mint is unknown?

Thanks!
If you can't hold it, you don't own it.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Coins Whose Mintage is Uncertain
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 04:44:56 pm »
Hi EC2,

I specialize in collecting coins of Augustus Caesar.

Why would an "uncertain mint" designation lower the value of a coin in a collector's mind? The dealer/auctioneer is just being honest. I think it is better for someone who is writing a reference book to classify it as "uncertain mint" than to provide the wrong mint. That error is especially bothersome for me because I must edit my tags or write up new tags when I discover the correct mint.

Sometimes, for me, the only problem with an "uncertain mint" designation is where to place the coin in my website.

Meepzorp

Offline Eric C2

• Legionary
Re: Coins Whose Mintage is Uncertain
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 06:56:52 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on April 12, 2021, 04:44:56 pm
Hi EC2,

I specialize in collecting coins of Augustus Caesar.

Why would an "uncertain mint" designation lower the value of a coin in a collector's mind? The dealer/auctioneer is just being honest. I think it is better for someone who is writing a reference book to classify it as "uncertain mint" than to provide the wrong mint. That error is especially bothersome for me because I must edit my tags or write up new tags when I discover the correct mint.

Sometimes, for me, the only problem with an "uncertain mint" designation is where to place the coin in my website.

Meepzorp

Good points ... and you can always do your own homework (if there is an RIC #) and see if you might be able to discover the mint yourself.

Thanks for the feedback!
If you can't hold it, you don't own it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity