Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lorica Squamata Scale  (Read 878 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Lorica Squamata Scale
« on: April 11, 2021, 12:43:11 am »
Morning  ;)

Is this a lorica squamata scale? The shape makes me believe it is and search results show similar. However mine has fewer holes. Seems to be quite heavy and has some thickness.
Also this other item I have next to it I've seen described as a piece of a celtic warrior's belt but the info I find on it is quite vague.

Have a great sunday!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Lorica Squamata Scale
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:14:04 am »
The belt piece is definitely pre-Roman.  Not sure if it is early La Tene or even earlier. 

The other item looks like part of a lorica scale but hard to tell as it is not complete and therefore the hole arrangement can't be determined.  There are usually more holes but not sure what else it could be.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 09:21:39 am »
I've seen scales with only 2 holes at the top, but as Shawn said, hard to tell for sure.  Check out Bishop ii

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 12:03:41 pm »
I suspect it may be ii with the bottom part missing.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 12:06:07 pm »
I've seen scales with only 2 holes at the top, but as Shawn said, hard to tell for sure.  Check out Bishop ii

I'm pretty certain it looked like the one you showed a picture off. No idea what else it can be and the placements of the holes seem to confirm it. The other finds on that same part of land were roman too, part of fibulae and 2-3rd century AD coins. As for age they were used throughout every century so the dating of 2-3rd century due to the other finds might be correct.

Thanks Shawn and Jay  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity