Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: PONT denarius  (Read 577 times)

Offline Parthicus Maximus

• Praetorian
PONT denarius
« on: April 10, 2021, 09:22:08 am »
Recently I was lucky enough to find a PONT denarius. It's my second. Coins with PONT in the legend are all rare for Domitian. They occur only in the first months of Domitian's reign (September-December 81 AD).

The coin is slightly damaged, but you can't be picky with PONT denarii.
It is also interesting that the coin have some underweight. Yet I have the idea that the style is official and that it is therefore not a fourree.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=51000&pos=0

Thanks for looking.

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Re: PONT denarius
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 11:55:03 am »
I may be mistaken, but there are plenty of official-style fourrees out there. This looks very much like one, and would explain why it's underweight.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 01:51:47 pm »
Nice find! I have a PONT myself thanks to Orfew. 

What's going on in the chip?  Is it solid silver?

Offline Parthicus Maximus

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 11:41:00 am »
Nice find! I have a PONT myself thanks to Orfew. 

What's going on in the chip?  Is it solid silver?
The silver appears to be quite solid. Only in the center of the coin is there a slightly different substance. But I am definitely not an expert in this field.

@Flaviusdomitianus also has an example that appears to be made of the same dies.
Interestingly, it seems to weigh even less.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3597&pos=15

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 02:00:13 pm »
Agreed, our coins seems to share both dies.

That is not surprisingly considering their rarity.

Alberto

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 03:17:27 am »
I may be mistaken, but there are plenty of official-style fourrees out there. This looks very much like one, and would explain why it's underweight.

I have never seen a fourree of a PONT denarius. However, I am willing to be corrected if you can point me to one.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity