Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID help mounts  (Read 510 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
ID help mounts
« on: April 10, 2021, 02:00:59 am »
Hello all,

These mounts i've tried to ID for quite some time but i'm not 100% sure on it. The first one on the left must have had a pin attached to it and was richly decorated, in the 6 triangles there must have been glaspasta. I'm leaning towards a child fibula as it's real small. The second one I believe to be the inside of an openwork belt plate from the late 2nd to 3rd century.

Maybe someone knows ?  ;)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: ID help mounts
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 08:45:40 am »
The object on the right is a simple kind of belt plate or belt stiffener.  Roman.

The one on the left is part of a La Tene III area fibula from central Europe.  The fibula had a narrow wire part on the back, almost like a modern safety pin.  The plate you have had some small enameled cells.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 04:42:06 pm »
The object on the right is a simple kind of belt plate or belt stiffener.  Roman.

The one on the left is part of a La Tene III area fibula from central Europe.  The fibula had a narrow wire part on the back, almost like a modern safety pin.  The plate you have had some small enameled cells.

SC

Would this mean this fibula is celtic? I thought enameled was something mainly the Romans did.
As for the belt stiffener any idea on the age and if it's military? It's quite small so if it happens to be military it surely must be 1-3rd century AD or were these also used as apron mounts?

Thanks Shawn you're the best  ;D

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 06:36:29 pm »
Yes, La Tene was Celtic.  The Celts invented the type of enamel we think of as Roman.

The belt is probably 3rd century of so and likely military.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity