Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Achaemenid Empire Gold Daric Type III  (Read 701 times)

Offline Adam D

• Legionary
Achaemenid Empire Gold Daric Type III
« on: April 08, 2021, 03:01:44 pm »
Hello everyone, I picked up this coin the other day ,as I've been wanting one for a long time and really liked this example - I'm very happy with it.  My question is this - has anyone else noticed that there are many more F-VF-XF examples of this earlier type III; while the later type III can be more easily found in AU and MS?  Is there any truth to this?  and if so does anyone know this history of why there would be many more earlier type IIIs that had been circulated?  I wonder if in that time period, people used the coin in a different way.  I know many hoards were found and many times the Darics were used for international trade and not circulated among the people - or it appears that way from my research.  Any more info would be great thank you for your help I'm sort of new here.

Adam

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Achaemenid Empire Gold Daric Type III
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 08:23:16 pm »
I am not an expert, but I have thought a lot about some of your general questions as an anthropologist. Some of these questions involve why coins were created in the first place and who used this money. This is especially interesting because it was a couple of hundred years after coinage was invented that bronze coins were introduced. No one was buying a loaf of bread with a gold or electrum or even a silver coin, unless gold was really not worth as much as I think it was. One theory is that coins were introduced as a means to facilitate payments of taxes to states, as well as commerce between states. It seems to me that the higher the coin value, the less wear it probably got because they were not in circulation as we think of coins being used in retail today. I know that doesn't answer your specific question.

My guess is that the only people who had coins early on were rulers, states and their officials and rich people. I have often wondered how a peasant paid for small purchases. Or a traveler looking for lodging and a meal and a drink for a night. I am not sure the earliest coins were used for these purposes. There were early electrum coins that were worth half a years wages. I am guessing that people were largely paid in kind for a long time after coinage was introduced and the period of your coin is quite early in that evolution. That is a beautiful coin.

Virgil

Offline Adam D

• Legionary
Re: Achaemenid Empire Gold Daric Type III
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 05:30:08 pm »
I think that’s a valid opinion. I think that the coins became too large as other accepted Greek coins of silver started to circulate via trade. This may have caused a shift from moderate local circulation to primarily a store of value / and more efficient for larger trade. Also for political / religious purposes like we see how they are used in large sums to pay for the Temple rebuild in the King James Bible.  Many say this is the most significant coin mentioned in the Bible. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity