Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: DIVO VICTORINO PIO Salus reverse  (Read 500 times)

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
DIVO VICTORINO PIO Salus reverse
« on: April 07, 2021, 06:07:11 pm »
Greetings all,
Been a long time - various things have kept me from getting back here - but good to be back. I have been doing some work on Victorinus - spurred by a little article in the next Coin Collector magazine. This is one of the great rarities - a Mint II DIVO VICTORINO PIO obverse paired with a SALVS AVG reverse from Mint I. Enjoy.
Adrianus

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: DIVO VICTORINO PIO Salus reverse
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 08:57:59 pm »
Very rare indeed. I only saw one for sale a few years ago, another is in the British Museum and a specimen in suppose to be in Berlin !
DT

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:25:23 am »
Very nice coins.

So to continue the discussion from the Laelianus thread, what is going on?

Did Victorinus take mint I (Trier) then II (Cologne)?  Did he take dies from I to II as he went?

Or did he somehow merge the two mints into one mint for a while during his rise?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 09:44:03 am »
As I understand it I don't think we can be sure in which order he gets them but it's clear that Mint II - with its Marius portraits in Victorinus' name - doesn't know what he looks like when they start coining for him. Mint I's coins look like Marius from the outset. I suspect he gets Mint I from Marius which starts coining for him and then word is sent to Mint II at Cologne to start striking for the new emperor. Hence the Marius' portraits...

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:47:16 am »
Makes sense, but why/how the inter-mint "mule"?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 07:24:55 pm »
Current evidence suggests that several dies were transferred from Trier to Cologne soon after Tetricus’s nomination. The cross-mint hybrids, including the coins in Domitianus’s II name (the obverse die is certainly executed by an engraver of Cologne: the letters are high, the bust is cuirassed, and the style is similar to the last radiates of Victorinus from that mint. But, as Weder first noticed, the reverse die is made by an engraver of Trier: the letters of the reverse legend are smaller and the drapery of Concordia is very characteristic of that mint), were issued during Tetricus’s issue 1, alongside the Divo Victorino coins. Why several dies were transferred from Trier to Cologne after Victorinus’s death remains a question that must be left open.
DT

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 05:45:36 am »
As a pure hypothesis, the fact - which is of great interest for numismatists- that, in the mint of Cologne -city camp of a legion-, a portrait looking like that of Marius has been in use during most of the first issue, after the accession to power of Victorinus in 269, could have created serious concerns at least amongst the still divided and unstable ruling circles in this troubled period. Thus, two tyears later, after the death of Victorinus (and of Domitianus II) early dies of Tetricus (obverse with a draped bust) and previous acceptable reverse dies dating from Victorinus‘ last issue (SALVS and VIRTVS, cf. AGK 7) were sent from Treves to Cologne to avoid the renewal of such a situation (including the possible re-use of Domitianusreverse dies).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity