Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 9 May!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 9 May!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Grierson on Calvary request 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grierson on Calvary request  (Read 121 times)
Gert
Caesar

« on: April 15, 2021, 08:13:23 am »

Grierson "Byzantine Coins" (1982) on p. 36 writes something about a type of cross set upon a schematically rendered rock of Calvary. I wonder what he writes about this and what Byzantine coin he is referencing, so I am hoping that a forum member who owns the book would be so kind to look this up.

I encountered the quote with this Byzantine seal: https://www.doaks.org/resources/seals/byzantine-seals/BZS.1955.1.1458/view
Regards
Gert

Molinari
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

My defeat, if understood, should be my glory

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 08:37:35 am »

I purchased the book for just a few dollars (!) but haven't had the chance to read it yet.  I will try and look into your question in the coming days--but if someone has it at hand, by all means, please help Gert.

mauseus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 08:39:00 am »

Hi,

He is referencing the cross calvary, or the cross on steps, seen on many of the solidi of the period, first introduced by Tiberius II.

Regards,

Mauseus

Gert
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 09:27:02 am »

Thanks! That explains a lot. I thought he was referencing the variant as seen on the seal, which I could not remember ever seeing on a coin.
Best regards
Gert

Simon
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Tetartera Collector

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 11:41:51 am »

I just took a shot of the paragraph. I see the question has been answered.

* 2021_04_15 1_39 PM Office Lens.jpg (332.84 KB, 2734x932 - viewed 7 times.)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Grierson on Calvary request « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop