Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Puzzling Commodus sestertius  (Read 929 times)

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Puzzling Commodus sestertius
« on: April 05, 2021, 07:20:28 am »
Dear Board,

I have here a very puzzling Commodus sestertius, on basis of the portrait from late in his reign.
I can't find this one in RIC, Szaivert nor any other reference I have got access to.

Behind the head I can read ANT, indicating a longer obverse legend like

M COMMOD ANT P FELIX AVG BRIT PP

The reverse is what makes me scratching my head, looks like Annona with a modius at her feet, maybe a prow to the right, hard to tell due to wear. You can make out the beginning of the reverse legend, LIBER and this combined with the modius etc puzzles me indeed.

diameter 29 mm
weight 19.0 g

It was not my intention to include this one in my collection proper due to condition, but as it has turned out to be a puzzling case, I probably will include it.

It is difficult to take good pictures of this coin.

Any information and suggestions are welcome !

Cheers,

Clueless

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Puzzling Commodus sestertius
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 07:46:25 am »

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Re: Puzzling Commodus sestertius
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 07:50:44 am »
Thank you Pekka,

but this was about the first one that came to mind for me.
The problem is the modius, i haven't been able to find this combination.

Clueless

All coins are guaranteed for eternity