Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 9 May!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 9 May!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: advice how to clean an roman antoninianus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: advice how to clean an roman antoninianus  (Read 408 times)
karaya75
Praetorian

« on: April 04, 2021, 11:58:13 am »

i have this coin full off encrustations, very hard to remove. how can i remove it?

thank you

Ron C2
Consul

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 05:27:31 pm »

do you know the emperor and silver level?  Is it silver or billon

If it's indeed reasonable purity silver, have you tried some lemon juice on a Q-tip?

My Severan Denarii Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa
karaya75
Praetorian

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 05:37:34 pm »

hello

its a gordianos 3
nikopolis1
Praetorian

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 07:39:13 am »

Get some formic acid.Dilute to around 10-20 % .The acid will dissolve this incrustations.But monitor the coin,1-2 hrs and should be ready.
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 07:46:07 am »

Personally, I would go gentler and use Ron's lemon juice, or vinegar, applied via q-tip.  This may soften the green to the point that a fingernail or bamboo skewer will remove some.

I wouldn't go harsher until that technique, or even leaving drops of lemon juice or vinegar on the green for a few minutes, had proved to not work.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
B-Chicago
Praetorian

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 10:59:04 pm »

me and my harshness never uses cotton on silver but it's all a matter of opinion anyway

my first approach would be to soak it - in DW -  for a long time and see how that materializes with short lemon juice baths in between

that should really put a dent in that gunk

Ron C2
Consul

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 11:16:42 am »

I'm rather hoping to OP didn't just fly in to get advice and vanish.  It's much more polite when some feedback comes after he tries a few things.

My Severan Denarii Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: advice how to clean an roman antoninianus « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop