Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 3rd century Phalera  (Read 730 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
3rd century Phalera
« on: March 31, 2021, 06:13:31 pm »
Good evening,

This item weighs arround 20 grams and is 61mm long. It looks like the inside of an openwork phalera from the third century but maybe it's a big piece for horse harness. In the middle it looks like something was applied but taken off. No clue what it could have been, my guess is that something was mounted on top of it.

Cheers  +++

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: 3rd century Phalera
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 06:08:30 pm »
Likely a stamped silver bust, attached with lead solder.  See image below.

I think this was a large equine harness pendant.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Re: 3rd century Phalera
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 05:08:47 am »
Thanks Shawn  +++. It appears that you are right as I have no clue what else could have been applied there, must have been real pretty back in its glory days (;

All coins are guaranteed for eternity