Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 9 May!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 9 May!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: New Purchases, Gordo the 13th 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Purchases, Gordo the 13th  (Read 314 times)
David K2
Legionary

« on: March 28, 2021, 07:19:12 am »

He looks sensitive in this photo, he gets bashful when you talk about his looks - he is quite fit, and 'works out a lot' - (if ya know what i mean), has a real athena like goddess behind him to keep up appearances.

Love the detail on this coin.  How did I do?

* GordianFront.jpg (431.91 KB, 893x1191 - viewed 21 times.)

* GordianBack.jpg (621.63 KB, 1107x1475 - viewed 18 times.)
okidoki
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 07:50:03 am »

nice metal  Thumbs Up

All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
mauseus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 09:26:19 am »

Hi,

I think that you have posted the wrong obverse picture as it's Philip.

Regards,
Mauseus

David K2
Legionary

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 04:33:40 pm »

i double checked, its the right one. 
maridvnvm
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 06:12:43 am »

No. This is the obverse of the Philip you posted in a different thread.
Callimachus
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 09:44:34 am »

Several things:

First: please look at the title you gave this thread. There is no such person as "Gordo the 13th." Accuracy is important here.

Second: As mauseus said, twice, this is a photo of a coin of Philip I. The obverse legends prove it: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG.

Third: If these two photos are indeed of the same coin, then it would be a coin of Philip I paired with a die of Gordian III. RIC lists about 14 of them on pp. 79-80.

However, the flan crack above Philip's head is quite large, and might be visible on the reverse, which it is not. So I think mauseus is correct.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: New Purchases, Gordo the 13th « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop