Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Diamond shaped Roman apron mounts?  (Read 903 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Diamond shaped Roman apron mounts?
« on: March 27, 2021, 07:02:58 pm »
Hello,

Was wondering if anybody can tell me something more about these mounts? I did some research and think the big diamond shape is a 1st century AD apron mount. The other 2 mounts i'm leaning more towards cavalry as they seem to be quite small and the small diamond shape still has some leftover silvering. Probably of the same age?

Cheers  +++

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Diamond shaped Roman apron mounts?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 11:44:02 am »
They are too big for apron mounts and also not a shape used. 

They are instead Roman equine harness mounts.

The diamond / lozenge / rhomboid ones were used from 1st to 3rd century and are Nicolay type A8 and B7; Aurrecoechea type M.

The more rounded one with one stud on the back is lenticular (lens shaped), these date from mid-2nd to 3rd century.  Nicolay type B10; Aurrecoechea type B, especially Huber & Kremer (2011), #1020-1022 and Redzic (2013) #522b.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 05:52:22 pm »
They are too big for apron mounts and also not a shape used. 

They are instead Roman equine harness mounts.

The diamond / lozenge / rhomboid ones were used from 1st to 3rd century and are Nicolay type A8 and B7; Aurrecoechea type M.

The more rounded one with one stud on the back is lenticular (lens shaped), these date from mid-2nd to 3rd century.  Nicolay type B10; Aurrecoechea type B, especially Huber & Kremer (2011), #1020-1022 and Redzic (2013) #522b.

SC

Thanks alot Shawn  ;D . All military I assume?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 07:51:28 am »
Hard to be sure.  Studies from sites in the Netherlands have shown many finds of "military horse gear" from civilian sites.  So this same stuff was likely used on any Roman horse gear fancier than the plow horse.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 10:16:17 am »
Hard to be sure.  Studies from sites in the Netherlands have shown many finds of "military horse gear" from civilian sites.  So this same stuff was likely used on any Roman horse gear fancier than the plow horse.

SC

Quite interesting as all these pieces are from the Netherlands  ;D . So possibly civilian, in that area a bunch of my other military stuff was found but like you said it was probably used by both and thus can't know for sure. Appreciate it  +++ .

All coins are guaranteed for eternity