Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gold Stater. Should I free it from it's prison?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Gold Stater. Should I free it from it's prison?
« on: March 21, 2021, 02:39:49 am »
I hate slabbed coins. But I wonder if it hurts the value to free them?
I'm not real keen on ANACS slabbed coins so I'm leaning towards opening it anyway.

This is a different type of slab than I'm used to, is there an easy way to open them?

Thanks for your help

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Gold Stater. Should I free it from it's prison?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 02:44:46 am »
Freeeeee it!

I guess it depends on your plans for it. If you plan to keep it long-term, free it. If you're thinking you may upgrade or may need to offload it at some time, still free it. Be free little coin!

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 01:43:06 pm »
That is such a beautiful example!  Any coin that is going to stay part of my collection gets set free. You have the picture of the coin in the holder and excellent provenance, no need to keep it sealed up imo.  Nothing like holding ancient gold in your hand.  Here is the one I freed a little while back.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-159338

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 02:38:51 pm »
Set it free!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity