Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severus Alexander sestertius Iovis propugnator  (Read 636 times)

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
Severus Alexander sestertius Iovis propugnator
« on: March 20, 2021, 11:06:46 am »
Just received the top coin and thought it would be interesting to compare it to a similar specimen in my collection.   IOVIS PROPUGNATOR is a scarce issue and both of these coins were minted with the same reverse die.  The top coin is in better condition and shows a small bust of a youthful Alexander.  The bottom coin shows a larger bust of a more mature Alexander.  If I had to select the portrait with the greater art, I'd go for the bottom coin.  How about you?
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Severus Alexander sestertius Iovis propugnator
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 02:25:29 pm »
The cellator who carved the bottom obverse was definitely more skilled.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 01:58:06 pm »
Clearly the earliest variant of this type, introduced not long after the beginning of 231, because of the nominative rev. legend, IOVIS PROPVGNATOR. The same type was then continued with a dative legend, IOVI PROPVGNATORI. In mid-232 the dative legend was continued, but Jupiter was now shown holding an eagle in his extended left hand, and small changes were made in Alexander's other four concurrent types too, marking off the beginning of his final issue which lasted until his death in March 235.

Reka Devnia figures indicate the relative duration of the three Jupiter types: 9 denarii with the nominative rev. legend, about 87 denarii with the same type but dative rev. legend, finally about 145 denarii continuing the dative rev. legend but showing Jupiter holding an eagle.

On sestertii, no specimens with nominative rev. legend like your two occurred in the Guelma hoard; 17 specimens with same type but dative rev. legend, and finally a paltry one specimen with eagle added to the type. The reason for the rarity of this latest Jupiter type on sestertii is unknown; the other four contemporaneous latest sestertius types were much commoner, for example PROVIDENTIA AVG Annona holding cornucopia, 116 spec. in the Guelma hoard; MARS VLTOR Mars running right, 81 specimens in the hoard.
Curtis Clay

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 04:57:23 pm »
Curtis:  Thanks as always for your insightful comments. 
Ron: We are in agreement!
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

maximinvs

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 01:02:59 am »
These coins seem to share a reverse die.
Regards,
Ian

All coins are guaranteed for eternity