Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thinking About Doing a Gallery  (Read 879 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Thinking About Doing a Gallery
« on: March 18, 2021, 11:27:19 pm »
Hi all,
I love the member's galleries here and was thinking about creating one. However, I am not sure how really useful it would be because I have a fairly small and very low end coin collection. Nothing like some of what I have seen here. Would a low budget collection be of interest to anyone? I can see this being useful for my own records, but I could do that in a spreadsheet on my computer and I have that on my to-do list, in any case for my heirs. Doing a gallery is also pretty time consuming, but would give me some quality time with my coins as I try to take decent photos and write them up.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Thinking About Doing a Gallery
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 11:33:18 pm »
Yes please! I try to look at the new additions each day.    You'd be surprised at how much time you'll spend looking at your coins virtually.  Especially if you take good pictures. I look at the virtual pics more than the actual coins.   I'm constantly trying to get better pics.  

Look forward to seeing your collection.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 11:46:52 pm »
Yes Virgil, please do! For all the reasons Jay mentioned, and for the satisfaction of sharing with a like-minded community.
When I was growing up in San Francisco in the 60's I would meet my friends on the corner to show off and swap our baseball cards. In a way the galleries here take me back to that time. And there is a certain joy in logging in and finding a new comment on one of your coins!  🙂

~ Peter

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 11:32:07 am »
Yes, Virgil.

I am exactly the same as Jay and Enodia. I view my coins on FORVM constantly but there can be be weeks or even months when I don't look at some of my actual coins at all. In fact I am ashamed to admit that when I went to look at some of my coins the other week I found that I had forgotten how small some of them actually were having been used to just viewing them in "blown-up" pictures.  ;D

Alex

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 10:26:11 pm »
Thank you for all the responses. Think I will create one. Just need to get the photography thing right and I am working on that. I enjoy looking at other's galleries and where their collection focus is. One encouraging thing is I am not the only one with a very wide range of interests.
Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 11:22:27 pm »
Of course we want useful galleries, but if you enjoy your gallery that is useful enough. Thanks for sharing your coins.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity