Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of Basil Maleses? 11th Century 26.57 mm 13.89 g  (Read 449 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal of Basil Maleses? 11th Century 26.57 mm 13.89 g
« on: February 28, 2021, 07:55:02 am »
I just purchased a well preserved seal which appears to be 11th Century given the decoration.  It measures 26.57 mm and 13.89 g.  

On the obverse is a patriarchal cross with dots.  

On the reverse, there is  

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:  :Csquare:  :Greek_Phi: :Greek_Rho:  :A3:
 :Greek_Gamma:  :Greek_Eta:  :Csquare:  :Greek_Beta:  :A3:  :Csquare:  :Greek_Iota:
 :Greek_Lambda:  :Greek_epsilon:  :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon:
 :Greek_Mu: :A3: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_epsilon: :GreeK_Sigma: :Greek_Eta:
 :drop2:  :drop3:

I believe that it reads σφραγὶς Βασιλείου τοῦ Μαλέση = Seal of Basil Maleses.  I have some questions about whether it is a Mu on the fourth line.  However, the DOC contains a seal of a John Maleses, kouropalates BZS.1958.106.4658 from roughly the same period.  

Any comments would be appreciated.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Byzantine Seal of Basil Maleses? 11th Century 26.57 mm 13.89 g
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 03:56:13 pm »
I have been doing some research and there appears to be an important individual with the name Basil Maleses during the appropriate period and who was associated with the Emperor Romanos IV Diogenes . Maybe my seal is of this Byzantine.

Wikipedia notes that

In 1075 the official in charge of the Aqueduct of Valens' ( Roman aqueduct system built in the late 4th century AD, to supply Constantinople) maintenance was Basil Maleses, the protovestes and former judge recorded by the Greek historian Michael Attaleiates as having been captured by Alp Arslan's Seljuks at the Battle of Manzikert.[1] Basil's office, known in Byzantine Greek as: λογοθέτης τω̑ν ὑδάτων, romanized: logothétēs tōn hydátōn, lit. 'logothete of the waters' and attested only from Attaleiates's history, was descended from the official in charge of aqueducts (Latin: curator aquarum) mentioned by Frontinus one millennium earlier in the Roman imperial period.

A scholarly article entitled Ruling the waters: managing the water supply
of Constantinople, AD 330–1204  states:

In 1071, the emperor Romanos IV Diogenes led an army across Asia Minor to confront frontier problems in Armenia and provide a show of military strength against the sultan Alp Aslan. In the event, the Byzantine army was defeated close to the Armenian fortress of Manzikert and the emperor was captured. For many historians this is a key moment in the decline of Byzantine control of its eastern territories and the increasing penetration and occupation of Anatolia by the Seljuk Turks and Turkmen tribes (Vryonis 1971). However, the historian Michael Attaliates, who was an eyewitness to these events, also provides an important, if enigmatic, insight into the urban history of Constantinople. Amongst those captured with the emperor was the protovestes Basil Maleses, a close advisor and an experienced administrator (Attaliates, History 167.15–16).1 It is known from other sources that Maleses had served as kritis (judge) in Greece and the northern Anatolian theme (military province) of Armeniakon (Duye´ 1972). However, Attaliates ignores these or other titles and prefers to call him the protovestes Basil Maleses, logothetes ton hydaton—the logothete of the waters.  

Basileios Maleses, ‘the emperor’s closest associate’, held the office of logothetes ton hydaton. This is the only instance of this office, which may be equated with the komes hydaton attested a century before. Whether the office was fiscal as suggested for the komes or had a wider remit is not known and there is always some uncertainty how far the function of offices exactly matched the titles (Oikonomede`s 1972). The logothetes tou dromou was the successor of the rationalis cursus publicus, with overall responsibility for the imperial road network

Another source says Basil Maleses was a judge of the Armeniac Theme and the Theme of Hellas and son in law of Michael Psellos or Psellus (Greek: Μιχαὴλ Ψελλός, translit. Michaḗl Psellós Byzantine Greek: [mi.xaˈil p͡s̠e̞lˈlo̞s̠]) was a Byzantine Greek monk, savant, writer, philosopher, politician and historian
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity