Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

What do you think of the HDR coin version?  One vote only.

Garish and distasteful.
1 (16.7%)
Unrepresentative.
3 (50%)
It's OK.
1 (16.7%)
Like it but needs less HDR effect.
0 (0%)
Beautiful with great eye appeal.
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Poll - Traditional Photography Vs HDR  (Read 533 times)

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Poll - Traditional Photography Vs HDR
« on: February 20, 2021, 10:15:51 pm »
Is HDR (high dynamic range) photography a good idea to use for ancient coins?  I collect ancient coins and I'm a photographer, so I use both.

Below is a comparison of traditional Vs HDR photography.  The subject is a Roman coin showing Faustina II.  The HDR version on the right was extracted from the traditional photo on the left which is a single exposure (versus 3 photos each of differing exposures that are normally used).

The HDR is a very dramatic but unrepresentative view of the coin.  It is "coin art", but is it a good thing to do?  Roman coins in themselves are works of art.  Garish or beautiful, you decide.  So what do you guys think of the HDR version?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Poll - Traditional Photography Vs HDR
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 11:48:48 pm »
I'm also an amateur photographer.  I like to get the coin to look as it does in hand.  Sometimes that means doing some manipulation in photoshop but I try to keep it to a minimum.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Poll - Traditional Photography Vs HDR
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 04:25:40 am »
HDR is a helpful tool when you have a high dynamic range that you can't handle with the usual tools.

It makes absolutely no sense to use HDR when you have an object with a low dynamic range, like the Faustina coin. In this case, you usually want more contrast, either through proper lighting or software.

In your case, you can achieve an almost identical effect by simply increasing the brightness and contrast. I have done this. See below (first image, left).

But what you should aim for is something in between (second image, left)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity