Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Oil Lamp with a Winged Creature with a human body and a bird's head?  (Read 6188 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I acquired an interesting oil lamp today from an estate.  It measures approximately 8 centimeters by 6 centimeters.  It is  decorated with a winged creature which looks to me to have a human body and a bird's head.  Any help with identifying this lamp and the creature would be appreciated.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
I hope the experts weigh in, but I am afraid that I find the style and "patina" worrying.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
I have to agree, it looks "off" to me as well.  Any evidence of discoloration on the spout from being lit?

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
I'm afraid this lamp is certainly a tourist-grade fake. Probably from Syria.

David Knell

All coins are guaranteed for eternity