Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 9 May!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 9 May!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Oil Lamps  |  Topic: Interesting Oil Lamp with a Winged Creature with a human body and a bird's head? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Oil Lamp with a Winged Creature with a human body and a bird's head?  (Read 1078 times)
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« on: February 15, 2021, 07:25:13 pm »

I acquired an interesting oil lamp today from an estate.  It measures approximately 8 centimeters by 6 centimeters.  It is  decorated with a winged creature which looks to me to have a human body and a bird's head.  Any help with identifying this lamp and the creature would be appreciated.  Pogh_poor

* IMG_2082.jpg (606.41 KB, 1460x1947 - viewed 42 times.)

* IMG_2081.jpg (633.21 KB, 2016x1512 - viewed 40 times.)

* IMG_2083.jpg (372.51 KB, 1136x1388 - viewed 36 times.)

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 03:30:17 pm »

I hope the experts weigh in, but I am afraid that I find the style and "patina" worrying.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 03:44:24 pm »

I have to agree, it looks "off" to me as well.  Any evidence of discoloration on the spout from being lit?

Strobilus2
Praetorian

Ancient Lamps Expert

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 09:35:26 pm »

I'm afraid this lamp is certainly a tourist-grade fake. Probably from Syria.

David Knell
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Oil Lamps  |  Topic: Interesting Oil Lamp with a Winged Creature with a human body and a bird's head? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop