Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek or Roman?  (Read 2834 times)

Offline solon

• Caesar
Greek or Roman?
« on: January 30, 2021, 07:07:57 am »

A friend has posted this picture.

PB   Approx. 100g.

Is this a weight or a seal ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Greek or Roman?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 07:18:52 am »
It appears to be a piece of baked clay.  I doubt it is ancient.  The style is mediocre.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 08:50:00 am »
Perhaps it is a mold for something :-\.

It appears to be a piece of baked clay.  I doubt it is ancient.  The style is mediocre.
There have been phases and places in antiquity with mediocre styles, this alone doesn't exclude it to be ancient.

Regards

Altamura

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 03:44:55 pm »
True, but the cruder it is, the easier to fake as so more suspicious.  Do you see anything that indicates that it is ancient?  Does it appear to be a piece of anything larger or to have had a use in its current form?

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 02:47:10 am »
... Does it appear to be a piece of anything larger ...
Perhaps, perhaps not. The left and the upper edge seem to be quite straight, the remaining two seem to be damaged. We cannot tell :-\.

... or to have had a use in its current form? ...
Again: It looks to me like a mold. There have been in antiquity e.g. lots of crude votive figurines in very bad style made by the use of molds.
But because of this crudeness you cannot decide from what time it could be, this could go perhaps until the 19th century, who knows :-\?

... True, but the cruder it is, the easier to fake as so more suspicious.  Do you see anything that indicates that it is ancient?  ...
It does not look really old (no stains) but also not really new (no sharp edges). For me the question simply is undecided  :-\. I don't have to buy it, so I can leave it like this  :).

Regards

Altamura

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 08:40:27 am »
I wonder how tall the figure is?

Its style does look odd.  Not just crude, but I am having problems with the entire upper body.

I wondered if it could be a mold for a lead votive statuette.  But there is no channel for the metal flow which means it would have to simply sit flat and open-topped with the metal poured directly in.  Not an efficient or common way.

Still the brick fabric and patina does look like my Roman military bricks so I am not condemning it as fake - just odd and slightly concerning.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 09:54:20 am »
The product could have looked as below. A female figure to right with a cornucopia?

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity