Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: About RIC 8  (Read 917 times)

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
About RIC 8
« on: January 27, 2021, 07:29:57 am »
Hello,

On the RIC 8 page 266 there is n°201 and 202.. same legend, same bust. How do you understand the classification? n°201 is ''R'' with reference under mint mark location P. Therefore it is ''RP'' at exergue? In this case it is same than RIC 202. The only explication is for me because of the unreadable exergue mentionned in note of RIC 201. The coin is ranked here with a maybe letter P after R? What is your opinion. The ''ZfN'': deutch numismatik magazine 1930, is impossible to find (for me).

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Re: About RIC 7
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 08:14:07 am »
On the RIC 7 page 266 there is n°201 and 202..

Please, check these numbers: 7, 266.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 08:16:51 am »
You must mean RIC VIII, where is listed VRBS ROMA coins from Rome mint.

#201 has only "R" in exerque (http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.8.rom.201),
while #202 has "RP", "RT", "RQ", "RE" or "RS" (http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.8.rom.202)

Pekka K

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 09:21:29 am »
Yes sorry, RIC 8 n°201.

I dont know if this coin is only R because as said, its unreadable. There is no illustration and everyone just copy the RIC but this coin may be an RP or RS 

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Re: About RIC 8
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 09:40:27 am »
Could be worn; could be an engraver's error.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:43:50 am »
Ill create a line for this coin on my database but with mention ''to confirm'' because i cant see any photo of it. Obviusly ill quote the references.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 05:35:36 pm »
This is one of the frustrating things about RIC volumes.  Assigning numbers to odd singletons.  When I did my FEL TEMP article for KOINON there were a great many mint marks in RIC that made no sense, were based on singletons or "required confirmation" which had yet to happen after many decades. 

This is to be expected of a corpus - like BMC - but RIC is supposed to look at the actual structure of coinage at mints and I would have liked to have seen a better approach to unverified or dubious examples...

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 06:01:22 am »
In my opinion it is a simple desire of miss nothing.. therefore if a rumor of strange coins come from serious peoples, the RIC decide to mention it as ''confirmation recquired''. The problem is that 70% of the source are impossible to check online.. some of them are preserved on universities wich ask to be student for key acces.
For this coin it seems that the source is Leningrad Hermitage museum and that the ZfN coin is with unreadable mark.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity