Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bobble heads  (Read 699 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Bobble heads
« on: January 26, 2021, 02:25:04 pm »
Is there a specific name (in the literature or industry) for the iconography seen occasionally on Roman coins where the emperor looks like a bobble head--overzised head and tiny little arms?  I might do a survey of that iconographic style but I'm hitting a wall with my search terms!

Nick

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Bobble heads
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 02:30:05 pm »
Like this:

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 02:30:30 pm »
Good question.  Don't know if there is a specific name for it, but it happens a lot during the tetrarchy.  Licinius comes to mind

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 02:32:28 pm »
Here's another good one!

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 03:49:23 pm »
The medical term would be macrocephaly...so why not macrocephalic coinage !
DT

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 05:38:16 pm »
Is there a term for mini arms though?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 05:49:32 pm »
Robert I’m not sure if there is, but in my gallery I have a coin of Phillip II who has a very unsettling arm.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-164241

Best Regards,

Justin

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 06:13:28 pm »
Phocomelia.
DT

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 07:03:03 pm »
Augustisaurus ?  ;D

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 07:14:48 pm »
Heliodromus impressive you have such a sought after coin. I hear he was the last dinosaur to be a Roman Emperor! :afro:

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 08:57:51 pm »
Heliodromus impressive you have such a sought after coin. I hear he was the last dinosaur to be a Roman Emperor! :afro:

Yes, they say he was eaten by another dinosaur before he could throw his spear with those tiny hands:'(

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 04:41:36 am »
On the other side of the spectrum there is the "Pin Heads" of the Period joint rule of Constantine and Licinius from the Eastern mints like Heraclea for Crispus and Constantine II
https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/crispus/_heraclea_RIC_023.jpg
http://www.notinric.lechstepniewski.info/7her-22_e.html

And Cyzicus for Licinius II junior

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/licinius_II/_cyzicus_RIC_VII_11_S.jpg

I've seen a head literally just a punched mark dot!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 08:15:05 am »
At some point I'd like to know when this style was first employed and if it is purely a numismatic phenomenon to incorporate specific design elements (like the branch or scroll) or if it was more artistic whimsy. It just looks so silly and I have trouble seeing how an ancient Roman would have seen it any other way.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 08:43:58 am »
To be serious, I think these tiny hands were not really a stylistic choice, but rather a practical necessity if wanting to display hands as well as the bust. The bust itself is of course the main design element and focus of the obverse, but given the desire to portray various types of martial, consular, etc busts, it becomes necessary to also display hands, and there's no room to do so in life-size proportion if the shoulder-and-up bust is occupying the bulk of the reverse.

There's also a conflict in whether to display hands in size proportional to the head or proportional to the tiny/symbolic adjuncts, such as spears, they are there to support. Life sized hands would make a spear held over the shoulder look like a toothpick, and since the hands are just there as a necessity to support the adunct, they are necessarily scaled to make it look as good as possible given the limited space.

There are exceptions of course - the more the bust tends towards half-torso rather than just shoulders-up, the more possibility there is to display hands in closer to realistic proportions relative to the head. Also if there is no adjunct - nothing being held - then there is more space for the hand itself to be better proportioned as we see in some raised hand "imperatorial gestus" busts.

See IMP T REX as an example - waist-up bust with life size hands:)

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity