Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange form  (Read 591 times)

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
Strange form
« on: January 26, 2021, 08:47:53 am »
Hello,

On this Solidus of Jovinus we can see a strange form on the reverse. Above the labarum on the left we see a ''star'' or something looking like the bottom of upper labarum. What is your opinion about this element? Is the engraver started to engrave the labarum first and then considered it was too far from the size asked for the coin?

This is the most large photos i found, sorry.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Re: Strange form
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 09:27:45 am »

Is the engraver started to engrave the labarum first nd then considered it was too far from the size asked for the coin?

Started to engrave the labarum just on the beaded circle of the coin? Rather impossible. Maybe there was a kind of flaw and engraver tried to hide it under "star"

Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 10:07:14 am »
The flaw hide by a star is interesting theory. In your opinion is this coin deserve a new line? In mine no..

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 10:55:22 am »

Most interesting detail on this coin is on exergue:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=122077

Pekka K

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 11:29:49 am »
In your opinion is this coin deserve a new line?

No. This "star" is apparently accidental, with no meaning.

Most interesting detail on this coin is on exergue:

You mean "K" instead of "C"? But this is already in the seller's description.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 12:19:23 pm »
Pekka K you are right its unlisted KOMOB mark, i already recorded it in my offline database some monthes ago. I was just looking on it today and decide to come here for asking the opinion about this particular form.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity