Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Follow up-- Help with pentanummium, please.  (Read 948 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Follow up-- Help with pentanummium, please.
« on: January 21, 2021, 04:43:13 pm »
With Pekka's help earlier I now know this is a pentanummium and with more cleaning the visible portion of the obverse legend appears to be AS PP AV.  Perhaps I can make out an N to the left of the A? above the head.  Does anyone recognize this emperor or legend.  Perhaps Anastasius with the name abbreviated in the legend ? Thanks in advance.

Ken

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Follow up-- Help with pentanummium, please.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 05:11:35 pm »
I believe that you have a "barbarous" or contemporary imitation of a Pentanummium.

Very nice as they are not that common.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:30:05 am »
Thank you Shawn. It strikes me as odd that such a small denomination would be imitated or counterfeited. Makes me wonder what one could buy with a pentanummium.
Ken

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 08:27:08 am »
Could that thing on the top of the emperor's head be a poor rendition of the hand of God?  It does not look much like a letter.  That might guide you to the prototype.

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 09:05:30 am »
I think djmacdo has a good point. Since it’s a barbarian imitation could they still be copying some of the late Roman designs which had the hand of god over the emperor. The late Roman style was often copied in contemporary imitations from what I usually see.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 10:02:33 am »
It occurred to me that may not be a letter.  It definitely is a two part design.  In case you can't see it well (I haven't moved beyond cell phone photagrapghy yet) the part on the right looks like an inverted lower case y and the part on the left is a long triangle, with the relief shifted toward one end.  Appreciate the input. 

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 10:11:52 am »
Also might the observe legend be imitating pf avg which is at the end of a lot of the late Roman coins.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 05:07:06 pm »
Many of the coins from the late fifth and early sixth centuries are so crude that the distinction between poor style but legitimate and imitation is very hard to draw.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 05:42:53 am »
Wiley, nice collection. I especially like the Justinian I S244. Nice photos too. Are those coins waxed? I’ve waxed my bronzes thus far, but I’m considering discontinuing.
Ken

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 10:05:14 am »
Any coin is worth imitating if can be made for cheaper.  In ancient times this usually means if it had a significant fiduciary value to it.

Even though a pentanummium might not be worth much itself, if you can make a bunch for less than they are worth you can make profit.

The most commonly counterfeited UK denomination is apparently the 1 pound coin.

The size reductions of the early Byzantine coins could have provided lots of opportunity for such mischief.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 11:25:31 am »
good points. :)

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 11:30:10 am »
Wiley, nice collection. I especially like the Justinian I S244. Nice photos too. Are those coins waxed? I’ve waxed my bronzes thus far, but I’m considering discontinuing.
Ken

thanks,

I am not always happy with with photos, they have been shot over the years with different cameras and stitched with different programs affecting affecting quality. I used to clean and wax some of them so yes some of them likely are but I cannot tell you which off hand.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity