Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: nails roman or 17 18 century  (Read 650 times)

Offline Vladimir B2

• Consul
nails roman or 17 18 century
« on: January 15, 2021, 10:34:50 am »
hello roman or later nails what is the difrence thanks

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: nails roman or 17 18 century
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 05:38:36 pm »
There is probably no way to know for certain short of analyzing what else came out of the same excavation layer.

Roman nails were hand forged iron and almost all have square or rectangular shafts.  They could have small round head, wide round heads, or rectangular heads.

All your nails look like Roman ones I have seen - but they also look like nails made and used by 18th and 19th century pioneer settlers in Upper Canada, where I live.  I expect almost all pre-industrial nails looked almost the same.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Vladimir B2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 06:34:56 pm »
thank you for your reply there was this piece iron with them about 40 cm deep

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 06:47:05 pm »
I agree, this is hard to tell. I have worked maintenance on 18th century plantation homes in Georgia, including getting into walls and structural elements and the nails looked like some of these, mostly rectangular smallish heads and always not round shafts. The other thing that makes me think these may be more recent is the buckle. That said, these could be as old as nails get or as recent as modern. They still make nails that look like these for certain purposes. Although the modern ones are much more obviously machine made.

Offline Vladimir B2

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 06:51:38 pm »
thank you its hard to tell because i detected a site with illyrian fort close by then in middle ages venetians ottomans evereyone used it

All coins are guaranteed for eternity