Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is it really a Gallienus from Lydia Tralleis!?  (Read 635 times)

Offline Patrick J

• Consul
Is it really a Gallienus from Lydia Tralleis!?
« on: January 05, 2021, 11:29:56 am »
Happy New Year to all of you.
I am trying to identify this coin. Is is a Gallienus from Lydia Tralleis?
Bronze, 30mm, 8.90grs
Thanks for the help!

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: Is it really a Gallienus from Lydia Tralleis!?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 06:33:12 am »
Dear Patrick,

happy New Year to you, too!

I think I am able to read  PO LIKINNI GALL[...] on the obverse and EP[...]OY TRALLIANWN on the reverse, which would give a rather clear indication that it is a Gallienus from Tralleis

While I could not find your coin either,, Imhoof KM, pg. 188, 8, has a 30 mm coin from Tralleis with a radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gallienus on obverse, legend: PO LIKINNI GALLIHNOC K, reverse: left-standing Tyche with kalathos, cornucopiae and rudder, legend EPI GR M AYR AFRODEISIOY TRALLIANWN. That would work with the legends on your coin which would of course show a different reverse.

I could not find a picture of the Imhoof coin (which was in the Winterthur museum) as it is not represented on Imhoof's plates.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Thilo

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 08:20:00 am »
Imhoof KM 8 is pictured as TRA 398 on Dane Kurth's GRP Lydia vol 4.

Pekka K

Offline Patrick J

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 10:43:54 am »
Thanks a lot Pekka and Thilo.
Love you both!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity