Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Birdwatcher discovers $1M worth of ancient Celtic gold coins By Hannah SparksDec  (Read 819 times)

Offline Vincent

• Caesar

Birdwatcher discovers $1M worth of ancient Celtic gold coins
By Hannah SparksDecember 24, 2020 2:04pm Updated

Christmas came in September for one British birder who stumbled upon a million-dollar cache of ancient Celtic coins while tracking a “dogfight” in the English countryside.

The gold medallions — almost mistaken for an old machinery part — date back over 2,000 years to the age when the fierce Celtic queen Boudicca was at war with Rome, according to appraisers, who estimate the prize to be worth £845,000, or about $1,144,000.

It’s a “life-changing” sum for the lucky finder, reportedly in his 50s, who chose to remain anonymous in a recent interview with Treasure Hunting magazine.

“That evening I was doing a bit of bird-watching,” he said. “After watching a dogfight between a buzzard and a pair of magpies, I stared down and spotted something lying in a bit of the deep ploughed soil which ran around the edge of the field.”

He nearly passed it, thinking the metal chip was an old washer. Then he “rubbed it and felt its thickness.”

“I saw the glint of gold and realized it was a beautiful Celtic gold stater, which made me sit down in sheer shock,” he said. “I then spotted the second coin two feet away and rushed home to get my [metal detector].” It gave him a “really strong” signal that more was just below the surface.
https://nypost.com/2020/12/24/birdwatcher-discovers-1m-worth-of-ancient-celtic-gold-coins/

The man said he prayed his two shopping bags stuffed with 1,300 gold coins — each worth up to $880 — would hold up on the walk home. He then notified the local coroner’s office, which oversees protocol in accordance with the UK’s Treasure Act of 1996, including the decision of who gets to keep the coinage: the finder, the landowner or a local museum.

Treasure Hunting’s editor Julian Evans-Hart said in a statement, “The coins form a substantial if not enormous contribution to our academic numismatic knowledge and will undoubtedly be subject to much assessment over the coming year.”

“It is possible that they may form a deposit as a ‘war chest’ for Boudicca’s eastern campaigns,” continued.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Wow!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity