Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fonts for Gabrici, Morkholm, Svoronos, and Lorber  (Read 866 times)

Ulrich W

Fonts for Gabrici, Morkholm, Svoronos, and Lorber
« on: December 18, 2020, 06:01:03 am »
The booklet contains the glyphs used in Ettore Gàbrici (La monetazione del bronzo nella Sicilia antica, Palermo 1927), Otto Mørkholm / Günter Neumann(Die lykischen Münzlegenden, Göttingen 1978), Jean-N. Svoronos (Die Münzender Ptolemaeer I-IV, Athen 1904-1908), and Catharine C. Lorber (Coins of the Ptolemaic Empire Part 1: Ptolemy I through Ptolemy IV, New York 2018). All letters, symbols and monograms are also available with a dot under them to correspond with the Leiden Conventions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leiden_Conventions. They are presented as independent fonts for Mac, Windows and Unix. Scalable vector graphics of all glyphs are included. Once installed, the glyphs may be enlarged or reduced, written bold, italic or underlined and freely combined with other font types.
The Fonts are free to use (CC by 4.0).
https://www.academia.edu/44727994/Fonts_of_G%C3%A0brici_E_La_monetazione_del_bronzo_nella_Sicilia_antica_M%C3%B8rkholm_O_Neumann_G_Die_lykischen_M%C3%BCnzlegenden_Svoronos_J_N_Die_M%C3%BCnzen_der_Ptolemaeer_1904_1908_and_Lorber_C_C_Coins_of_the_Ptolemaic_Empire_1_for_Windows_Mac_and_Unix_Hannover_2021_Fonts_for_Numismatics_2_

Enjoy
Uli Werz

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Fonts for Gabrici, Morkholm, Svoronos, and Lorber
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 03:37:31 pm »
The booklet contains the glyphs used in Ettore Gàbrici (La monetazione del bronzo nella Sicilia antica, Palermo 1927), Otto Mørkholm / Günter Neumann(Die lykischen Münzlegenden, Göttingen 1978), Jean-N. Svoronos (Die Münzender Ptolemaeer I-IV, Athen 1904-1908), and Catharine C. Lorber (Coins of the Ptolemaic Empire Part 1: Ptolemy I through Ptolemy IV, New York 2018). All letters, symbols and monograms are also available with a dot under them to correspond with the Leiden Conventions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leiden_Conventions. They are presented as independent fonts for Mac, Windows and Unix. Scalable vector graphics of all glyphs are included. Once installed, the glyphs may be enlarged or reduced, written bold, italic or underlined and freely combined with other font types.
The Fonts are free to use (CC by 4.0).
https://www.academia.edu/44727994/Fonts_of_G%C3%A0brici_E_La_monetazione_del_bronzo_nella_Sicilia_antica_M%C3%B8rkholm_O_Neumann_G_Die_lykischen_M%C3%BCnzlegenden_Svoronos_J_N_Die_M%C3%BCnzen_der_Ptolemaeer_1904_1908_and_Lorber_C_C_Coins_of_the_Ptolemaic_Empire_1_for_Windows_Mac_and_Unix_Hannover_2021_Fonts_for_Numismatics_2_

Enjoy
Uli Werz

Hello and Happy New Year, Uli Werz

Thank you for sharing this.

Can you tell us if these fonts are have been (or will be) adapted by the unicode convention ?

If they can add hundreds of new emojis every few weeks maybe they can add these :)

PtolemAE

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 10:02:42 am »
I think I get where PtolemAE is coming from.  I've been hunting symbol fonts for years now, screen-scraping what I can, with the usual limited success.
Segoe UI and its close Unicode font relatives are my best friends right now.   :)

Uli's find could be useful on several levels, providing some immediate (PDF or Word-based) symbols that we can use with copy/paste,
but secondly as a primer for those, so inclined, to delve into the world of downloaded fonts.  
Page 7 of the linked PDF document goes through the steps to download, unzip, and install a font.  Mac, Windows, Linux, and Unix are on the menu.

My complete lack of familiarity with downloadable fonts makes this an adventure, and one with a most uncertain outcome;
having the font in my Windows PC doesn't mean that my applications (notably browsers and Microsoft Office apps) can deploy these fonts,
much less upload onto a site like Forvm, where the font would be read by the many on their various operating systems and browsers.  
It'll be a learning experience.  

The font file contains the glyphs used in four numismatic publications, as cited by Uli.  
The one I expect to get the most benefit from, Lorber's Coins of the Ptolemaic Empire.

While there is a Word doc, it does you no good without installing the font. The symbols (aka "glyphs") appear merely as the Latin alphabet or Arabic numerals.  
On the other hand, the PDF has the font embedded, and it shows the font tables as intended.
I've included an excerpt to give an idea of what is in store (see jpg below), with and without the fonts installed.

Since this is named Fonts for Numismatics 2, I'll have to go see about the first, won't I?
I'd love to hear if anyone has tried to install these fonts and whether they work for them.

Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 11:17:14 pm »

My complete lack of familiarity with downloadable fonts makes this an adventure, and one with a most uncertain outcome; having the font in my Windows PC doesn't mean that my applications (notably browsers and Microsoft Office apps) can deploy these fonts, much less upload onto a site like Forvm, where the font would be read by the many on their various operating systems and browsers.  It'll be a learning experience. 

These are great comments. Not even the character map copy/paste works with all applications. My experience with fonts is that downloading them allows a word processor to use them. And some other programs that use fonts, such as desktop publishing programs, but definitely not automatic and not all programs. Sometimes cutting a pasting a character from a word processing document into something like the Forvm works, often it doesn't. I have resorted to creating a graphic before and uploading the image, but that usually is also a disaster unless it is all on its own line. With Forvm, even that wouldn't work as images are attachments. I would love to know the solution. Forvm's clickable Greek and Latin letters and symbols are pretty helpful for me, but they don't cover all possibilities..

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 07:48:23 am »
Forvm's clickable Greek and Latin letters and symbols are pretty helpful for me, but they don't cover all possibilities..

Quite right, Virgil.  As useful as the Forvm's clickable letters are, I also need them for my coin descriptions (flips and the like).
When I migrated away from Word and Excel to a database, I lost my direct link to an in-app character map. Ugh! I had to build a cheat sheet into my database.
I've since discovered a Windows 10 hot-key (in version 1709 or later) for special characters.  It won't work for other operating systems, but it's convenient if you are running Windows 10.

Press the Windows key and the period key simultaneously (or the Windows key and the semicolon key) and you get a clickable special character table with emojis and symbols.
The Ω symbols menu (top row) has sub-menus (bottom row) for supplemental symbols and language symbols (Greek alphabet), among others. 
It's not very different from the Forvm clickable letters, but it works on both Windows apps and, seemingly, the Forvm.

Screen shots...
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 11:13:15 am »
Forvm's clickable Greek and Latin letters and symbols are pretty helpful for me, but they don't cover all possibilities..

Press the Windows key and the period key simultaneously (or the Windows key and the semicolon key) and you get a clickable special character table with emojis and symbols.
The Ω symbols menu (top row) has sub-menus (bottom row) for supplemental symbols and language symbols (Greek alphabet), among others. 
It's not very different from the Forvm clickable letters, but it works on both Windows apps and, seemingly, the Forvm.

Anaximander,
Thank you very much for that tip. My main computer, where my Flip template is, runs Windows 10, so this is perfect.
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity