Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ephesian cistophorus - very rare (Kleiner 63)  (Read 639 times)

Offline sagit

• Consul
Ephesian cistophorus - very rare (Kleiner 63)
« on: December 17, 2020, 12:12:36 pm »
IONIA. Ephesos. Year 65 (70/69 BC). AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm (26mm, 12.13 g). Cista mystica with serpent; all within ivy wreath / Bow-case with serpents; ΞE left, gorgoneion above, torch right. Kleiner, "The Dated Cistophori of Ephesus," in ANSMN 18 (1972), 63.
Very rare, none in acsearch.

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Re: Ephesian cistophorus - very rare (Kleiner 63)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 06:53:48 pm »
Wow, that is a great example!  Wherever did you find it?

Attached is one that is not as nice as yours.

There is one in the British Museum collection, https://books.google.com/books?id=_WsCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA66#v=onepage&q&f=false .  I am surprised -- I never thought I would see another one!

Offline sagit

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 03:34:36 am »
There were two cistophori, the second one is from Apamea.
Both were found together (metal detecting), reportedly - to the north-east of Simpheropol (Crimea, Ukraine), near to settlement Mazanka.
I think that coins got there during 3rd Mithridatic war.
I bought them both directly from the person who found them.

Offline sagit

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 04:57:56 pm »
New photos.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity