Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Large Byzantine Seal of George - Double Bust?  (Read 647 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Large Byzantine Seal of George - Double Bust?
« on: December 09, 2020, 09:09:34 pm »
I just purchased an interesting large Byzantine seal.  It measures 33 mm and weighs 32.57 g.  On the reverse, there is a monogram which solves Seal of George.  On the obverse, there are two busts of saints.  It is a true double bust or rather a double strike? I believe that it is a double bust as the reverse is not doubled. Let me know your opinion.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Large Byzantine Seal of George - Double Bust?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 12:34:58 am »
Shapes of the shoulders appear different on the two, so I suspect double bust (NOT double strike).

Offline stultus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 05:51:43 pm »
I am not sure, but I think that there are two different impressions on the sealing. Either reused, or more likely sealed together by two persons.
Could you, please, check in hand wether there are really traces of letters on the left side of the reverse (between the edge and the impression)?

S.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 02:47:36 pm »
I am leaning towards this being both a reused piece of lead and a double impression.  The impression is very deep as compared to other seals which There seems to be a weak strike impression of the monogram of George which corresponds to the second bust.  In hand, you can see a faint  :Greek_omega_small: where it would be with a double impression.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity