Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this horn silver? IVLIA PAVLA denarius  (Read 687 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Is this horn silver? IVLIA PAVLA denarius
« on: December 06, 2020, 12:53:36 pm »
Hi all,

I guess because I collect severan period debased denarii I don't often encounter horn silver and have little experience deciding if an encrustation is horn silver or just old dirt & minerals. From what I have read, copper-alloyed silver is generally much less susceptible to horn silver corrosion.  

This coin has a few pin-point size encrustations that are lead-colored, which I know is the color of horn silver, but I don't usually see photos of it that look this small and isolated to little bits.  I've only had the coin a short while, so it's not like I would see the progression yet.

Just in case, and on the general idea that I will encounter horn silver eventually - after reading up on it I ordered some sodium thiosulphate powder online just in case - won't have it for a week or two though.

Most of it is around the L in IVLIA, but there are very tiny specs of it on both sides of the flan in isolated areas.

Should I do a precautionary sodium thiosulphate bath with a DW soak just in case?
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
Re: Is this horn silver? IVLIA PAVLA denarius
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 11:23:21 pm »
Quote: ". . . so it's not like I would see the progression yet."

Horn silver is not the same as bronze diseaseBronze disease can eventually destroy a coin, but i think horn silver is fairly stable.

From your picture, it appears the coin is lightly toned. I would not do anything to it that would get rid of that toning.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Is this horn silver? IVLIA PAVLA denarius
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 04:13:50 pm »
I don' think sodium thiosulphate removes toning? But even if it did, silver retones naturally after a few years.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity