Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Coin ID (Galba? & Winged Victory, 19mm 7g) Any ideas greatly appreciated.  (Read 600 times)

Offline Matthew B2

• Legionary
Greetings! I hope you are all well and don’t mind me asking about an interesting coin I’ve discovered in my father’s house after his death this year. I believe it may have been my Grandma’s actually. I have never had anything to do with coins before but have been very interested in finding some things out including many of the helpful links suggested here. I can’t get much further with this coin than the pretty basic stuff here though, I’m afraid, and was wondering if anyone had a minute to cast their expert eye on it.

I’m pretty sure it’s Roman, probably looks to have been in the ground, and is fairly well worn, but I think it’s got some beauty to it.

My online attempts have perhaps suggested it may be Galba on the obverse? He has a fairly brutal-looking nose. I think laureate head, bit of drapery on the shoulder maybe?

The legend I think says AKHI but the rest I can’t tell for sure.

The reverse I think shows Winged Victory, facing right, with an item in her hand. The only similar pose I’ve seen online is her ‘with captive’ but there is no captive here.

The weight is 7g which seems fairly heavy for a little coin. And the diameter is roughly 19mm although the edges are worn.

Thank you very much in advance and even if I don’t get anywhere it has been interesting to delve into this world for a bit and I am impressed with your skill and incredible depth of knowledge.

Best regards,
Matt

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
It's a tetradrachm from Alexandria (Egypt) with the goddess Nike on the reverse. Can't figure out the legend on the obverse on my phone...but someone else will be able to help you with the right Emperor... certainly not Galba...
DT

Offline Matthew B2

• Legionary
Thank you DT! Interesting details. I guess basing my Emperor guess on his nose was not particularly successful then.

Much appreciated,
Matt

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Offline Matthew B2

• Legionary
Thank you very much Pekka K, I hadn’t heard of Numerian so couldn’t have got to that without your input. I shall have a good read about him. It is lovely to see another example of the coin online from your link as I’d been unable to find one.

Much appreciated,
Matt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity