Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: L. Appuleius Saturninus denarius  (Read 733 times)

Offline ardashir

• Legionary
L. Appuleius Saturninus denarius
« on: October 23, 2020, 10:42:36 am »
Hello, my first post on the forum, I hope it's useful.

Recently a denarius with this description was sold on ebay:

The Roman Republic - L. Appuleius Saturninus - AR Denarius (Silver, 17.5mm, 3,5g.), Rome mint c. 104 BC - Head of Roma / Saturn in quadriga Cr. 317/3 a; BMC 1493

Stated as original, to my newbie eye looks tremendously like the coin reported here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-16957

But I could be mistaken.

What do you think about it?

Offline dwarf

• Consul
Re: L. Appuleius Saturninus denarius
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 11:27:06 am »
Welcome to this forum

You are perfectly right with your observation and the buyer fell victim to the usual ebay-scam.
A nice advise to newbies: stay with respectable dealers (Joe here for example) for the first years of collecting.

Regards
Klaus

[REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline ardashir

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 12:06:19 pm »
Thank you!

I din't mention the nickname of the seller because I was not sure. BTW, I've sent 2 messages to him. In the first one, only noting that the weight of the coin wasn't quite right, I asked him for further details and for the recent history of the object. He answered that everything was detailed in the description (not true obviously).

In the second message, after matching the coin to the reported one in the Fake Coin section of the forum, I've directly pointed out the problem to him. Obviously, he didn't answer, and one hour later the auction ended. This makes me feel that the seller is truly dishonest. I'm really sorry for the buyer, I wish I would had wrote him about the bad deal he was up to. I've only reported the object to ebay: they never answered. And it's also quite difficult to find your way in reporting fake coins on ebay...

I'm new to the hobby, not to ancient history and archaeology (I work in a museum). I think that this forum is amazing, and my case is a good example of how good the tools of this website are and how much you people give to this outstanding passion.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 02:51:58 pm »
ardashir, thanks for following the rules.  dwarf did not.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 03:05:18 pm »
ardashir, thanks for following the rules.  dwarf did not.
I know that we have differences.
But our Munich dealer should be on the list, too

Ceterum censeo  :)
And for the know-it-alls
Δοκεῖ δέ μοι καὶ Καρχηδόνα μὴ εἶναι

Regards
Klaus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 05:06:02 pm »
It does not matter if you agree with the rules, you still need to follow them.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 07:53:11 am »
ardashir,

You have a good eye, especially for someone new to the field.  I hope you keep interest in the subject.  You could make other contributions.  If we can help in any way, let us know.

Mac

Offline ardashir

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 10:50:33 am »
Thank you Mac!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity