Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Blob" of metal on Denarius.  (Read 837 times)

Offline Michael C9

• Legionary
"Blob" of metal on Denarius.
« on: October 11, 2020, 02:18:11 pm »
Hello All,

I have a silver denarius [Julia Maesa RIC 271] that appears to have a large blob of metal on the reverse RHS 2Hrs. Is this very common and does anyone know how it is formed?

Thank you for your advice. This site is really good, especially for those of us starting out collecting Ancient Coins, as you have far more answers than I have been able to find anywhere else on the Net. Appreciate you experience and knowledge.

kind regards

Michael

Coin Details: Wt 2.55g; Diameter: 19.1mm; Thickness 1.9mm; Specific gravity 8.5g/cc; Die Axis 0

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: "Blob" of metal on Denarius.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 03:18:05 pm »
I have seen similar blobs on coins that have gone through a fire. A bubble of air within the flan expanded in the heat forming the bubble. I have also seen blobs due to die damage. It is likely one or the other. If it is fire damage, you likely will see other signs of damage. I don't see any in the photo.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 09:40:17 am »
I agree with Joe.  A blob like this could be from fire damage but not when it i the only sign.  The rest of the surface is in fact in very good condition.  Fire damage can't be that localized.

So other options:

- sign it is a cast??  I see no other signs jumping out at me but has to be considered and examined.
- evidence of a weird pit in the die??  If so a very odd one.
- could it be a blob of molten silver that dropped on it from another coin or object that melted near/above it??  Starting to stretch occam's razor here......

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 10:58:13 am »
I think it has strong evidence that it was not cast. I don't see any reason to suspect it is not genuine. Can we see the other side?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Michael C9

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 12:07:29 am »
Thank you for your advice. It is appreciated. Below is the reverse. I can not see any obvious signs of casting and the edge looks fine.

Offline Michael C9

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 12:09:48 am »
Yes.... the Obverse. What a forum to make such a basic error! :-[ :-[

All coins are guaranteed for eternity