Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Chi Rho Late Roman/Early Byzantine? Conical Lead Seal/Plomb  (Read 683 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Chi Rho Late Roman/Early Byzantine? Conical Lead Seal/Plomb
« on: October 03, 2020, 08:46:09 am »
I acquired an interesting Chi Rho Late Roman/Early Byzantine? lead conical seal/plomb. It measures approximately 15.81 mm x 12.4 mm and weighs 3.78 g.  Is this type Roman or Byzantine?  Is a date of the late 4th or early 5th Century appropriate? 

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Chi Rho Late Roman/Early Byzantine? Conical Lead Seal/Plomb
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 09:27:31 am »
The physical style of seal dates from 3rd century on untill much later.

The Chi-rho like that may start late 4th century but was used on Byzantine pentanummia until at least well into the 6th century.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 11:39:59 am »
I am not entirely sure this is a christogram. It does remind me of a type I call 'animal wheel': animal protomes in a circle. Compare this one

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 09:03:15 am »
I think that you may be correct - it does appear to a animal at the top.  It was never very clear to me as a christogram.  Do you think that it dates to 3rd-4th Century?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 03:28:10 pm »
Yes, I'd say 4th century. These are hard to date. This method of sealing was used up to the 5th/early 6th.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity