Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small Cylindrical Objects for Identification  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
Small Cylindrical Objects for Identification
« on: September 20, 2020, 09:38:45 am »
These cylindrical objects were given to me by someone who had no clue about them. They had been stored inside a clay pot that turned out, based on some research I did, to be – probably – from Pre-Columbian Central America. But there is no reason to assume that there is a contextual relationship between the pot and these things. They may simply have been stored together by a previous owner.

The objects are small (see the penny for reference), cylindrical in form, perhaps made of fired clay (it's difficult to tell), with each cylinder apparently consisting of identically sized stacked disks that are fused together. (There is one exception to the "same size" rule - one of the cylinders tapers along its length) The tops and bottoms of each cylinder have radiating grooves. Presumably each internal disk has the same radiating lines. If you look at the cylinder with the broken “top” (upper right in the top image, near the penny), a lower disk in that cylinder has been revealed and it has those same grooves.

Each cylinder seems to have been drilled down through the center. Most of these central holes are filled – perhaps with soil rather than from intentional plugging.

I have no idea what these things are, whether they are simply old (antique) or truly ancient, and whether they are Western or otherwise. My first thought is that they might be weights of some sort, intended to be threaded on a rod or cord to establish a particular weight. But, really, I am clueless.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Small Cylindrical Objects for Identification
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 10:00:46 am »
If they were pre-Columbian my first thought (total guess) would be ear studs???

Otherwise I have no clue.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 10:22:50 am »
Thanks for the thought, Shawn. Interesting speculation!

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 11:21:32 am »
The weights and the spindle knob in my mind also turned ...  ???::) ???

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 11:24:10 am »
Thanks for the thoughts, Joe. I had initially considered spindle whorls too, but the tiny size of some of these, as well as their form - and the stratification/layering - made me abandon the idea.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 11:37:52 am »
It may be the middle material from the drilled stones, but there may also be fossil remains, who knows ...

???

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity