Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Zeus / Mhn Standing, Hierapolis, Phrygia  (Read 816 times)

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Zeus / Mhn Standing, Hierapolis, Phrygia
« on: September 20, 2020, 09:14:56 am »
Wise eyes, what do you make of the connections between these two Hierapolis specimens?
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Zeus / Mhn Standing, Hierapolis, Phrygia
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 09:30:11 am »
Here's a third specimen, listed as from the "same dies" as the first:

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 11:19:30 am »
Here are another two

Who can reconstruct the family?
If there is any!

The better-quality coin has a "pedigree" going back to 2010
Both coins sold in 2019/2020

Klaus

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 01:26:55 pm »
FWIW, here is the RPC entry for this type; RPC's 3 and 2 (the plate-coin for the entry) are included in our previous postings. https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/5491. Among my three first specimens (first post), all the strikes are off-center in quite similar -- though not quite the same -- ways, and the flan-crack on specimens 1 and 3 is at pretty much the same point, with perhaps a small echo at 5:30 on the obverse of specimen 2. There is also the strange ghost of Mhn's staff to the left that is visible on all three of those specimens, although not quite as clear on #2. If one or more of these is a cast copy, that's worth taking note of and better explaining; but if so, which gives rise to which? How?

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 02:53:45 pm »
Two coins with identical dies having the same flan crack is in my opinion impossible.
I suspect coin#3 being a cast from coin#1

Coin#5 has been reworked too much for any decent statement

The reverse of coin#4 puzzles. It has the usual beaded border and a ghost rim. The obverse seems OK

Judging just from the photos the patina of all coins cast no doubts.

I cannot make up my mind - especially as we are not talking about a lot of money.
The coins were sold for "peanuts"

Regards
Klaus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity